DrThomasMD
DrThomasMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

I just got my MRI results. Findings: The Supraspinatus, infraspinatus

I just got my MRI results.
Findings:
The Supraspinatus, infraspinatus and subscapularis tendons are normal caliber and heterogenous signal consistent with mild/moderate tendinosis. There is no focal rotator cuff tear. Rotator cuff muscualture demonstrates no atrophy or edema.
The lateral acromion is of type 2 morphology with moderate anterior downward slope. The acromioclavicular joint demonstrates minimal degenerative arthropathy, with trace reactive marrow edema in the distal clavicle. There is no AC joint osteophytosis, ad no focal narrowing of the supraspinatus outlet. There is minimal cystic change of the posterolateral humeral head with otherwise normal glenohumeral marrow signal.
There is only a small glenohumeral joint effusion, limiting evaluation of the glenoid labrum. The superior labrum and LHB tendon are intact. Posterior labrum appears intact. There is an indistinctly marginated partial thickness defect extending into the substance of the anterosuperior labrum, which may represent a partial -thickness labral tear. There is no paralabral cyst.
There is high grade chondromalacia involving the superior articular surface of the humeral head, extending at least 18mm mediolateral, with the sharply marginated interface between the zone of chondromalacia and intact humeral head articular cartilage visible on coronal fat supressed T2- weighted images 7-9. Although articular cartilage of the medial humeral head appears intact, there is an osteophytic ridge arising from the anteroinferior margin of the humeral head articular surface. Hyaline cartilage of the glenoid appears intact without diffuse chondral thinning or focal defects. No intra-articular loose bodies are seen.

IMPRESSION:
1. Mild supraspinatus, infraspinatus and subscapularis tendinosis. No focal rotator cuff tear.
2. Minimal degenerative change of the acromioclavicular joint. No anatomic findings suspicious for rotator cuff impingement. No subacromial bursal inflammation or effusion.
3.High grade chondromalacia involving the superolateral articular surface of the humeral head, with a sharply defined margin between the zone of chondral loss and preserved humeral head chondral thickness superomedially.
4. Prominent osteophytic ridge arising from the anteroinferior medial margin of the humeral head articular surface, with adjacent mild chondromalacia.
5, Possible partial-thickness tear of the anterosuperior glenoid labrum.

So this all sounds pretty bad for me but then again I dont understand this mumbo jumbo. The doctor is referring me to an orthopedic doc and says shots may help me and in worst case scenario...surgery.
I feel bad about this because this sounds to me like I cant lift weights at all. Please guys if you know what I can still do with all this injuries let me know.. I will do legs as much as I can but what upper body exercises can I still do? Does this mean my days of weightlifting are over?
I havent lifted in two years....
Category: Health
Expert:  DrThomasMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello
1. you have some mild degeneration in the rotator cuff tendons.
2. there is a little bit of arthritis in the shoulder joint
3. there is degeneration of the cartilage at the top of the arm where it meats the shoulder.
4. there are some bony protrusions on the upper arm bone which is typical in arthritis.
5. the labrum is where the arm inserts into the shoulder, sort of like a ligament, and there is a mild tear.

The treatment for this is not just shots but the correct physical therapy and you might avoid surgery.
You should not lift for the time being.
You need to be clinically assessed, have 6 to 12 weeks of physical therapy then home exercises and assessed again at 3 months.
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.