Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.

Is 37 too young to have colon cancer? What are the symptom

Is 37 too young to have colon cancer? What are the symptoms?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 4 years ago.
Colon cancer is rare in those below the age of 40, but not impossible.
Symptoms can include: abdominal pain, change in bowel habits, blood in stool or darkened color stool, weakness, anemia, weight loss.

If you have any additional questions, please ask. Otherwise please click accept.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay I have been having abdominal pain on right and left side.. sometimes flank pain and lately the pain is also in my lower abdomen. I have constipation and sometimes diarrhea and nausea. This has been going on for two weeks or so. I had a normal ultrasound and normal upper endoscopy. Also, I have a ESR of 83... I suffer from general anxiety. I started a new medication dexilant about 3 days ago and yesterday I had severe stomach cramps and pain in lower abdomen with "slushy" stool. Any suggestions or advice as to what this could be. The pain comes and goes but the last 2 days have been constant.

Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 4 years ago.
The symptoms you describe can be caused by things such as a viral infection, side effect of medications (dexilant) can cause abdominal pain and diarrhea, IBS, gallbladder disease, pancreatitis, etc. I recommend you revisit with your doctor and have blood tests such as a CMP and lipase to see if your gallbladder or pancreas is affected (if not already done). Ask about stopping Dexilant. If all tests/exams come back negative what you have is most likely IBS and treatment is supportive. A medication such as Bentyl may be helpful.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I have a family history of gallstones. My mother, sister and aunt have all had their gallbladder out. The Dr. who did the endoscopy said I would have to get mine out at some point. I just don't know if gallstones can cause all this pain and all over.

Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 4 years ago.
Gallstones can cause pain and these symptoms. So having this further evaluated is recommended.