Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Can xanax and klonopin be taken together, with out problem

Can xanax and klonopin be taken together, with out problem.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Broad question--without what kind of problem?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will they. Make each other stronger it cancel each. Other out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will they. Make each other stronger or cancel each. Other out.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Certainly won't cancel out each other--both are benzos and to take them together is like mixing scotch and gin.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok just curious. It certainly makes it hard to type and focus., but whatever. I think I need to take a trip, somewhere quiet with nice atmosphere.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Rehab would fit that description to a t.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a. Picture in my head of it being institutional, and cold. Like a jail.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Imagine all you like--it isn't like that at all.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Time to wake up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi I finally woke up. Except for the few times I touched base with you I was out.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I'm here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm glad you are here now, I've been out along time
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Rested now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just rested would be one way to put it, how are u?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Piano and a run.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Glad u got some time to yourself. I'm still tired but up.that's a good sign I guess.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Good sign, but how did you mean that?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How did I mean good sign? I dosed everytime I woke up. I figured it was a crap shoot.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Still not sure what you meant by that
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I wasn't hoping to wake up, does that clear it up.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes--same old same old. Can we talk about something else instead? Your choice.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sure we can, but the same old same old has taken a turn for the hum... Worse . That's why I need u now. I feel lost and hopeless, maybe its me or the drugs talking, I don't know. I'm not sure where to go from here.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
With all the drugging you do, don't you realize that your physical feelings and your thinking aren't going to be up to snuff?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm awake and conversing with u so I must be thinking clear, I can walk. So I'm better, kind of.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, just saying that the way you take some meds would lead to confusion, drowsiness, and a blah feeling.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I seem co.confused, or drowsy to you?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
We're running off the road here--just saying that I don't expect you to be physically looking good and completely lucent and rapid fire thinking when you've drugged yourself the way you so often do.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I get it. My spring flowers are already 2 in high, hopefully the w.snow doesn't hurt them, not a fan of frozen tulips.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Any daffodils?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't go out back and look for those, but crocus and tulips are up, and the huge snow was maybe an inch.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
That's not what I'd call a huge snow.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Me neither, my. Luck we will get 6 tonight. It will be a job.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Something to keep you busy, though. Do the tulips and crocusses need any of your Xanax to keep them from worrying about frostbite?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Funny, do.u think I'd really share. They're hardy, they will b fine. How many addicts share their stash.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Very few if any. You could offer them a hot toddy with a little rum and cider.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I could, but I'm low on rum, and I don't share vodka, whiskey, or gin. They are on they're own. Maybe I'll cover them. They look fine now though, they always pull through. Maybe I should go to the bar, then I wouldn't miss the rum.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Run the risk of a DUI?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Of course I would, but I won't go to far, and I'll eat when I'm there , that will help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Of course I would, but I won't go to far, and I'll eat when I'm there , that will help. Isn't risk part of it anyway.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
There are risks and then there are risks. The alcoholic doesn't weigh in on any of them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Of course it does, risk getting caught or not. Or being smart enough to take the right way home. And who says I'm an alcoholic anyway, social drinker.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Social drinkers don't take the risk of drinking and driving.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Says who? I can have a few and walk a straight line, so driving is a cake walk. I'll b fine.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Social drinkers don't drink and drive.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Says who!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Says me and you can't possibly win this argument.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've seen less than social drinkers drive, think weddings social drinkers drive home or to a hotel from there. I am worse with drugs and driving, I take too many curbs when I drug.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
The simple fact that we've having this discussion/argument is another example of addict thinking. A true social drinker (whatever that really means--let's say "responsible") would never even thought of starting the discussion here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, say your right, so what are the people that have dinner and drinks then go home called? Are they responsible, or alcoholics, or social. It gets into a gray area doesn't it? I don't drink everyday only sometimes, alcoholic or social?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
It's only grey when I have the discussion with an alcoholic. As to that example, if they continually drive after knowing they've had too much to drink I define that as loss of control. And again, my definition of any addiction doesn't include daily use.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How can it be an addiction if you don't use everyday? If u can take a break where is the constant need come from. I'll admit to an addiction to something, bur alcohol, I don't see it.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You still insist on forgetting some of what I've said before (maybe conveniently just ignoring and not really forgetting). My simple definition of addiction is any loss of control. If, for example, that "social" drinker did get pulled over and was charged with a DUI--if ever again he drank the same and got into a car, knowing what had happened before, I'd call that loss of control--an example where he tell's himself he shouldn't do something and goes ahead and does it anyway.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know I shouldn't do it, I know its wrong, but I don't really care. Maybe I'll hit a tree, we have plenty of those. I just don't care what happens anymore. That's as clear as I can be. I don't know what to care about.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Nice segue out of the addiction discussion.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know I shouldn't do it, I know its wrong, but I don't really care. Maybe I'll hit a tree, we have plenty of those. I just don't care what happens anymore. That's as clear as I can be. I don't know what to care about. I'm not a perfect person , I never meant to say those things to you, its all quite hard to say these words to you. All that I am all that I ever was, would u stay with me and just forget the world.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I'll always stay with you but one thought--did it ever occur to you that your drinking and drugging may be the cause of your depression and thoughts of death?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, I have felt depressed and had serious thoughts of death sense long before I touched anything. I was a picture of physical health for many years. Except for drinking during softball season , but that was a prerequisite to the game.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes, but the other drugs and alcohol can just make that worse.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not a perfect person I never meant to say those words to you. I know when I say I don't know that u know its a lie. Sure, is a hedging answer.. I am depressed and confused like crazy these
lines to forever.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well--botXXXXX XXXXXne here--I don't think the alcohol and Xanax are doing you any favors
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Wow, I'm seeing cats they don't. Even notice me at all, I song like t his, help .me. make them go away. I can't open my eyes, I'm know your here.darkness fills.my mind, I have to come out, even the best fall down sometime ,but somehow u & I collide.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Collide?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Seems loike whenever I get close to a feeling of life kind of fading for some reason .I can't explain. I feel like someone should know, for some reason I can't explain I know St. Peter will call my name. Like u I've. Done a lot of good. U know somethings wrong, maybe today I can put the past way, do you understand.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Put the past away how?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The past is ruining me pulling me back into old habits that I stopped for everybody but me. I needed everything I did to get to the next minute. I tried. To be clean but I was not me anymore, at best a cardboard cut out with no sense of self. Dull and bland. Not who I am, I used to be alive, I'm not now, so what? What's the difference?.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You're getting dramatic again
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I expected you'd say that, I'm a little past dramatic tonight. It's the drugs and that I'm almost out of xanax already, I'll have to order them and the waiting is a bitch. I tell myself to slow down but I just can't. So here I sit stoned and admitting it. Time to change to something else to ease coming down, I want to save a few.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Rationing is either impossible or nearly so with an addict.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your mad, don't be, I'm eating nutella and. Gramcrakers with water. I won't go out. I'll stay home, just don't be mad.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No--you've got me all wrong--you've never gotten me angry.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Never? Disappointmented? I know I can be stubborn. I've never been mad at u either. U have been very patient while I try to wander though a confusing time, and traumatic at times , my drs here have to they say it, and I can see it on their face. I wish I could erase the worry then it would ease my guilt.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Not disappointed either--I know full well before getting into a discussion with an addict that there's gonna be if onlys and yeah buts throughout. I would have been disappointed if you had agreed with me from the beginning
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No yeah but or onlys, I did this to myself , I remember my first drink (teqila sunrise) , first joint same night, first line of coke 2 days later,too much to much. You have to build up a tolerance.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
How long ago was the tequila and how much did you drink? Do you remember exactly when it was, who you were with and what happened?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was 17. And I was a beach side bar called the ark, I probably knocked back 8.drink, we smoked pot on the beach. I was with my now exhusband Dan, several friends .Dez, Mary.Mark, Shane. It was Thai stick, mixed with an ass kickin Hawaiian. The coke was given to me by my softball coach Gary, gave me a gram.for a good game, did it with me friend.Linda , cause she knew what she was.doing and I.was new, ii loved the high.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--and I'm surprised I didn't think to ask about this before, but tell me after you've carefully thought about it--why do you think, after all these years, you remember that one day so graphically and vividly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had been lieraly.locked away from social event until Nov of 79. After class I went to see if there were any off campus housing , and I found something to say the least my.mother went off the deep end, beat me forever it seemed. But I still left.Sunday night. Because it was the same week, I was bruised and had a black eye and cuts they were trying to help the pain.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
But why do you think you still remember the feeling you got from the alcohol and drugs?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had been lieraly.locked away from social event until Nov of 79. After class I went to see if there were any off campus housing , and I found something to say the least my.mother went off the deep end, beat me forever it seemed. But I still left.Sunday night. Because it was the same week, I was bruised and had a black eye and cuts they were trying to help the pain or maybe make themselves feel useful.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
No--you're missing the point. I assume you felt the rush--the good feeling--and it was something you hadn't experienced before and was very nice?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, what did u mean? What is the point?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I find that almost to a person the alcoholic or drug addict remembers with remarklable clarity that "first time"--the first time they got that nearly orgasmic rush from the booze or drug. Most people, if they remember the event at all, only remember the puking or nausea or dizzy feeling or lack of judgment or coordination--the side effects, if you will. It's only those with those special receptors that remember it as an extremely pleasurable emotional experience. And that's how a memory of an even sticks with you--either very pleasant or very unpleasant emotionally.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh I see, it was very pleasant, and fun. Make me miss being that young.I could do anything and feel great, no hangovers just get up and go. Smoke a joint or something on the way to work, it was a greatlife, I miss it now enough that I want it all back. I know it is not reasonable, oh but that feeling of acid and pot is awesome.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
We've just added a very important pillar in the growing evidence that you're an addict.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We did what is it?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You can't be that dense or out of it or hung over--I just told you. Only an addict remembers that first time like it was the greatest experience of their life.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The pillar is the fact that I love doing drugs. It's a hell of a big pillar. And another one is that I don't think I need rehab? And another that I'll say anything to.get what I want and take them within seconds of getting them and use all of them in less than .24 yes.?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Those are good pillars, but you've given me a lot of buttresses for them, too. BotXXXXX XXXXXne--you're an addict.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know but there are a lot of functional addicts, they live long lives. Are u saying I can't be one of them. It did catch me off guard today when Dr. Nicely said I looked drugged, but I won't let that happened again , eye drops, make up, all can hide looking out of sorts.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Just what is your vision of a functional addict?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Someone who can fake it well, and control when they use so nobody notices. I think I do a fine job of getting what I need off the internet, I just found a place that has a physician that interviews u before he gives u the meds. I can get through that.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Still illegal in the eyes of the DEA but oh well. So as long as no one suspects then addiction does no harm to the addict?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do u think there is harm, if I find a good supplier. The price range varies from 12 to 139 for 30 pills. I'm not picking $12 pills, I think it through.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Yes--harm in the sense that you may find a knock on the door and it's the DEA with their handcuffs. So let's look at it this way--do you think it makes sense for someone with a shallow melanoma--completely curable with surgical excision--to say, "No thanks--I'd rather wait until it metastasizes and take my chances with chemotherapy?"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
People do it everyday, have u ever googled "valium online without a perscription". U will be stunned. They would be targeting large quantity buyers. Heck my last shipment came from India, delivered by the uspet, marked medication not harmful for human consumption. Laughed had at the non-harmful part.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You're conveniently bypassing my question referring to the idea of the functional addict. And people shoplift every day but some get caught.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My vision of a functional addict is someone who can control themself in public and at work, and doesn't harm anyone.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And what about my analogy of the melanoma patient that refuses to be cured with surgery?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a lot easier to cut it out than stop 30 yrs of using, it becomes who u are.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Come on--stop playing games and stick with it. Or is it that you see how you're going to lose this argument too? The point is that the melanoma patient may appear fully functional but left untreated the disease will get a lot worse.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know I'm losing but I can't handle feeling like a loser. So I had to fight. If I give in I'm a failure. I've spent the majority of my life winning regardless of how I was really doing. Faking it is part of who I am, I don't admit that easily or often, maybe 3x in 30 yrs. It's not natural but I can't be the real me anymore, I forgot how.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, another thing about an addict--while they're using--daily or otherwise--they aren't the real thing--they are anything but real.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do u get back to the real u if u started using at 17. How do u find out who u are. Haven't I already made a mess of what could have been. What if I'm ruined, why try.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Why would any of us want to go back to the way we were at 17? Even if we could, that wouldn't mean it would suit us now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess my question is after 33 yrs of being a fake version of yourself, how do you find the real you. I haven't been honest about my life even as a kid, lied about abuse, even lied about being cold or hungry to avoid being.hit. my whole.life has been a cover up. Can I even hope to find myself after this long.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
What about wiping the slate clean--admitting to everything in the past, sharing that, working through the shame and resentment, making amends as much as possible, and working on finding out who the real you is now (remember about humility--accepting the good and the flaws) and living one day at a time committed to learning more about yourself, doing the right thing as often as possible, and trying to help others more than helping yourself?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It sounds right but I don't know if I can admit to everything I've done. I'm not proud of some of my infidelitys. I wouldn't know where to start.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
You start with small steps--one secret at a time and maybe with the smallest on first. It gets easier as you go--almost like practicing the piano.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Calling it a night, Lois. More 12 step courses later.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice