MD_Online
MD_Online, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  10 years experience in the field of general practice
63900745

My 18 year old daughter has been sick since she came back to

My 18 year old daughter has been sick since she came back to Singapore from NY late January. She had a slight sore throat while she was in New Haven (Yale U). Then it developed to a cough on board the plane coming home. She has refused medication except for a 3 day Prednisolone for her laryngitis. She continued to have coughing for the last 4 weeks. She was fine for two days and then came down with a cold. Ever since then, she has been having very itchy throat which has caused her to cough incessantly. I took her into the Respiratory Specialist who then took her blood test for full blood count, Mycoplasma and Mono. In the meantime I also took her to see an ENT specialist who scoped her and there were a lot of inflammation in her nostrils, enlarged adenoids, bumpy upper part of the throat. Anyway, her tests came back with completely clear FBC but C-Reactive was slightly high, reactive to Myco IGM and lightly positive for Mono. She is on 15 mg of Predisolone ( 5 days), Klacid MR, Nexium 40 mg, Singulair ( asthma), Clarinase, and for night time Phenexpect CD (because she has not been sleeping. Her throat remains very itchy. ENT thinks she has caused a lot of irritation from long term coughing and also reflux (bumpiness). I am at a loss because I need quick solution at least to reduce the itchiness so she can get enough rest. Please help because she has to go to school to finish her IB in May. Thanks!

Optional Information:
Person's Gender: Female
Person's Age: 18

Already Tried:
Clarinase, Prednisolone 15mg(5 days) in am, Nexium, Klacid MR (just started after positive for IGM), Singulair, Phenexpect CD, Avamys (nose spray)
Category: Health
Expert:  MD_Online replied 2 years ago.

MD_Online :

Hello, there seems to be a lot that has already been done. A verified Mono infection to start which can prolong sickness over many months even with malaise and tiredness. She is taking a lot of medication, but the problem now seem more an irritant ona and itch, have you tried simple antihistamines for itch relief?

Customer:

The only antihistamine I started using last night was Piriton ( Chlorpenarimine). She seems better today but from past experiences I had myself two years ago I took 2 tablets of Zrytec. Would that be helpful? Thanks!

MD_Online :

It is well possible yes, hence she seems to be better off with an antihistamine and you have a better experience you may try that, but you should refer to a doctor if things do not pass

MD_Online :

She can experience discomfort for a while but she is on a large cocktail of medications and not much more thyere should be added

MD_Online :

Hope this helps and best of luck

Customer:

Thanks!

MD_Online, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 10 years experience in the field of general practice