Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My 18 year old daughter has been sick since she came back to

My 18 year old daughter has been sick since she came back to Singapore from NY late January. She had a slight sore throat while she was in New Haven (Yale U). Then it developed to a cough on board the plane coming home. She has refused medication except for a 3 day Prednisolone for her laryngitis. She continued to have coughing for the last 4 weeks. She was fine for two days and then came down with a cold. Ever since then, she has been having very itchy throat which has caused her to cough incessantly. I took her into the Respiratory Specialist who then took her blood test for full blood count, Mycoplasma and Mono. In the meantime I also took her to see an ENT specialist who scoped her and there were a lot of inflammation in her nostrils, enlarged adenoids, bumpy upper part of the throat. Anyway, her tests came back with completely clear FBC but C-Reactive was slightly high, reactive to Myco IGM and lightly positive for Mono. She is on 15 mg of Predisolone ( 5 days), Klacid MR, Nexium 40 mg, Singulair ( asthma), Clarinase, and for night time Phenexpect CD (because she has not been sleeping. Her throat remains very itchy. ENT thinks she has caused a lot of irritation from long term coughing and also reflux (bumpiness). I am at a loss because I need quick solution at least to reduce the itchiness so she can get enough rest. Please help because she has to go to school to finish her IB in May. Thanks!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 years ago.
Greetings.

What did her chest x-ray, x-ray of sinus and throat culture show?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No chest x-ray was done because my daughter refused it (exposure to radiation), nor sinus. No throat culture was done either. I just need the itchiness to go away so that she can stop coughing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry for delay in answering you. Since you opted me out; the system does not let me answer. This is now opened and thus I am answering you.

Her symptoms are likely due to postnasal drip.

The treatment is;

1) nasal saline spray; do not need prescription for it.

2) nasal corticosteroids / nasal cromolyn / nasal antihistamines may also be needed,

3) oral leukotriene inhibitors and

4) oral antihistamines; you may try Claritin D which is over the counter.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine