Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

My husband is spitting up bright red blood there is no sore

My husband is spitting up bright red blood there is no sore throat or coughing he is a diabetic and complains of his stomach hurting and his side he takes Junavia for his diabeties. It has been high these last few days about 300 but has come down today.
what do you think it is?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Singh :

Dr. Singh :

Spitting up bright red blood can be either from the lungs or GI system. Since he has no cough but has stomach ache this is likely a GI bleed. Causes of this can be a ulcer, varices, tear, etc. You need to have him see his doctor/ER as soon as possible. He will require blood work, close monitoring as well as a special test called an EGD where a camera is taken to look at the esophagus, stomach and part of the small bowel to look for source of bleeding. He will also be placed on a medication such as Protonix or Nexium to help. Please do not delay and have him seen.

Dr. Singh :

If you have any questions, please ask. Otherwise please click accept.

Dr. Singh :

Regards

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can he wait until the morning to see a physican and what type of physican can he see.

He did eat some acai berry cubes and his sugar went up to 124 there is some traces

of blood he is spitting up can it collect during the night and cause problems?

Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
I do not recommend waiting as he may be losing a lot of blood internally and that can be a serious problem. A GI specialist is recommended for they would be able to do an endoscopy.

Regards