Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I recently began having a tingling sensation in my vagina after

I recently began having a tingling sensation in my vagina after sex, the after masterbating with dildo it happened again. What could this be.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 years ago.
Greetings.

Do you have any vaginal discharge or abnormal bleeding?
Are you diabetic?
Are you on any medications?
Any significant past medical history?
Do you have backache?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No to discharge or bleeding . I am asthmatic I take symbiocort , singular no back ache

One of reason of this kind of sensation is pelvic floor problems and weakness. One of the cause to be considered is levator ani syndrome. Ask your physician to consider this entity and get the following investigations;

1) defecography,

2) pelvic MRI

3) nerve-conducting velocities and needle-electromyographic studies are used to help evaluate compression or entrapment neuropathy and pelvic floor function.

The treatment is following;

1) electrogalvanic stimulation,

2) biofeedback training,

3) digital massage of the levator ani muscles

4) sacral nerve stimulation

5) physical therapy for the pelvic floor muscles

Pelvic congestion syndrome, Pelvic floor relaxation disorders, Pelvic floor dysfunction too need to be considered for the vaginal tingling. Though treatment is essentially same.

The other diagnostic consideration would be;

1) Pyriformis syndrome
2) Pinched nerves in back.
3) Neuropathy due to other causes.
4) Pelvic inflammatory disease

Investigations to diagnose the above would be lower back MRI, glycosylated hemoglobin, vitamin B 12 levels etc. You may start multivitamin supplements and probiotic meanwhile.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This seems to have just started though. Is that unusual. Someone mentioned common in diabetics or herpes should I be concerned about these condition
Herpes is not common cause for tingling just after sex. Other infection like Pelvic inflammatory disease may be responsible for it. Diabetes can be a possibility and this is the reason I mentioned about the neuropathy and investigation like glycosylated hemoglobin (done for the diagnosis of diabetes and diabetic neuropathy). The symptoms can have a sudden onset.

It is privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun