Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.

My father has Alzheimers and I would say in the later stages.

Customer Question

My father has Alzheimer's and I would say in the later stages. His sight has worsened, we dress him, feed him and lead him around. I'm concerned about the meds he is taking. He takes Sertraline HCL 50 - One and one half and Quetiapine Fuinarate 100mg ea. 1 1/2 every morning and at night Trazodone HCL 100 - 2 tablets and Temazepam 15 - 1 capsule. We crush them and put into applesauce. Shortly after the meds in the am he cannot talk and is basically sedated until late afternoon. The pm meds make him sleep and pretty much the same thing. I just want to know is this the correct meds, he seems over sedated Any recommendations?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 4 years ago.
If your father has Alzheimer's these are not the correct medications. First, Sertaline and Temazepam are used to help treat insomnia, Trazodone and Quetiapine are used to treat depression, the combination of all these medications will certainly make one drowsy as appears to be the case with your father. Although some patients with Alzheimer's have depression and insomnia these medications can be used for that. However, treatment for Alzheimers is medication such as Aricept or Namenda. I recommend that you consult with a neurologist and have his medications adjusted so that is not sedated and unfunctional.

If you have any additional questions, please ask, otherwise please click accept.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
HE was taking the namenda and aricept but the dr said they weren't helping any more
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 4 years ago.
Was he taking these two medications at the same time? As these medications have been shown to be helpful when taken together in severe Alzheimer's? Do you agree that the medications were not helping?