Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

pins and needles, numbness in lips, face and arm

How long has this been going on and is it constant? Your other medical conditions and medications and what studies has your doctor ordered to get at a cause?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Dr Chip,

This has happened twice in the last week, both times while playing golf. Both times I was 3/4 of the way through my round when I nstarted to exp numbness in my lips on left side of mouth, then gradually and sporadically, symptoms of pins and needles/numbness spread across left hand side of face, neck and down left arm. No pain or discomfort, just weird. Both times was able to continue golf and finish my round but symptoms persisted after finishing for several hours. Yesterday symptoms[sporadically and less severe] persisted from midday until I went to bed at 10 pm.
My GP has made arrangements [after my first episode] for me to have a brain CT scan, thinking that it may have been a TIA. He also conducted an ECG and bp test which were both normal and has referred me to a specialist appt in a weks time.
My uncle died of MND at 62 yrs of age but the symptoms don't seem consistent with that thankfully.
My father passed away recently at 88 yrs and in his final few yrs suffered from Myasthenia Gravis but he died from strokes.
Hope you can help with possible diagnosis.
And there was no weakness to the facial muscles or the arm muscles?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I didn't notice any. The facial thing didn't seem to be in my tongue and didn't affect speeech. It felt just like a dental anaesthetic wearing off.
My arm just felt weird not any noticeable weakness. When I say weird, from time to time, I exp something like a hot tingling sensation in different parts of the arm. Sometimes high in the arm, sometimes around the elbow, sometimes down into the hand and fingers of left hand. But I had no trouble gripping a golf club, so it didn't seem to affect the strength of my grip.
Did your doctor check you for B12 deficiency, autoimmune disorders, thyroid deficiency and heavy metal toxicity?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I recently had a blood test done to monitor cholesterol levels and PSA ,and received results last Thurs. The results all came back normal except for thyroid. The printout he gave me showed that there was "mildly elevated TSH" and suggested another test in 6 weeks.I can't make out any specific info re B12, or autoimmune disorders it just says all haemotology parameters are within normal limits. I have been a white collar worker all my life with no real exposure to heavy metals that I am aware of
Any problem with headaches, and when this happened were there any vision changes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No headaches and no vision changes. The only overall physiological affect was that after having the symptoms for several hours I started to feel a little feeble. Not sure feeble is the right word but just a bit off overall but that may just have been a pschosomotic reaction to not knowing what was wrong with my body. I am a tall, strong and reasonably fit person for my age, who usually enjoys robust health.
I should have given the exact TSH resuly in my last was 6.0
Are you certain about that TSH? If that's correct it would indicate that you are hypothyroid and probably should be on thyroid replacement
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The report definitely says 6, with normal levels between 0.4 - 4.0 and it then says as follows.
"Mildly elevated TSH.. Suggest thyroid tissue antibodies or a repeat test in 6 weeks if recovery after a transient thyroiditis is suspected.Alternatively, this pattern also could be recovery after an intercurrent illness which depleted Thyroxine reserves".

I haven't had any illness that should equate to the 2nd part of that description.
Well, hypothyroid disorder can cause a peripheral neuropathy like syndrome but not likely on just one side. TIA is still a possibility here and I would do carotid studies and have you have a cardiac workup. That said, I think this is probably what's called a variant migraine syndrome--the aura, if you will, of a migraine without the headache. I would have you see a neurologist about this possibility.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Dr Chip. Am seeing my GP in an hour and will discuss your suggestions with him.
Welcome but let me know how it goes