Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

hiya, i am 4 months pregnant and i get palpitations but not

hiya, i am 4 months pregnant and i get palpitations but not all the time, when i have eaten food, i have had my heart checked out over the years heart scan 24hr tape stress test but all clear so i am finding it really scary and uncomfortable,i have an underactive thyroid but what could be the cause?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Singh :

Dr. Singh :

Have you had a recent thyroid test? Or recent blood test of your electrolytes?

Customer:

i had my bloods done about a month ago and my thyroid was 3.6 which i thought would be higher with being pregnant

Dr. Singh :

Your thyroid level is okay.

Dr. Singh :

I recommend that you get a CMP and Mg blood test to look at your electrolyte levels as these could cause palpitations. If you have had negative studies in the past and if you are not having other symptoms with the palpitations such as shortness of breath, dizziness, lightheadedness, etc I would not worry too much about them

Dr. Singh :

If you develop symptoms or the palpitations persist then you should see your doctor for EKG and further work up

Customer:

because i have had loads of tests done on my heart my doc wont send me for anymore, but surely there must be another reason why i feel my heart beating all the time and with certain foods it goes faster sometimes

Dr. Singh :

it can be normal in people to have occasional palpitations

Customer:

i got diagnosed with ventricular ectopics when i was 30yrs old, i can feel them when they happen

Dr. Singh :

then this is what these are now... electrolytes which change often can cause this when they are either too high or too low

Customer:

i am just wondering whether i have had that done, what are electrolytes, wonder what co;our bottle you would use to take for that blood test?

Dr. Singh :

Electrolytes are things such as potassium, sodium, magnesium, calcium

Customer:

oh i had them done with the last bloods they was fine, was hoping that could be the answer, some people say go on beta blockers but they lower your bp and mine is already low plus i dont want to go on them if nothing is up with my heart

Dr. Singh :

yes beta blockers slow the heart if the palpitations are due to a fast heart rate

Dr. Singh :

in your case this would not work

Customer:

i know it must be hard for you because obviously you need to see somebody and do tests to diagnose, but if i had all my heart tests would you say something could of happened within 2/3 years of having all my tests on my heart, i am hoping it isnt my heart

Dr. Singh :

if u had these palpitations before and were diagnosed with ectopic ventricular beats, this is likely what is going on now

Dr. Singh :

an annoyance yes, but not something that needs to be treated unless other symptoms such as dizziness, shortness of breath develop

Customer:

that is a good sign because i dont get any of them symptoms

Dr. Singh :

yes that is good

Dr. Singh :

i would try not to worry too much about it

Customer:

i think i will go docs and just mention it again, it could be because i am pregnant and it could be hormonal

Dr. Singh :

yes i think that is a good idea

Customer:

thankyou so much for your advice, a little reasurance is a good thing.

Dr. Singh :

You are very welcome

Dr. Singh :

Best wishes

Customer:

thanks x

Dr. Singh :

If you have any further questions, please ask. Otherwise please click accept.

Dr. Singh :

Regards