Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.

I am bipolar I and had to take prednisone for inner ear and

I am bipolar I and had to take prednisone for inner ear and sinus troubles. The P exacerbated all of my bipolar symptoms to the point where I had to go through a partial hospitalization program. My question is, when will the damn prednisone stop affecting my mental state? It has been 5 days since I've been off the stuff.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 4 years ago.
Prednisone (oral) medication should be out of your system within 15-18 hours of last use. The fact that you have stopped taking it for 5 days and are still having bipolar symptoms makes it likely that the Prednisone wasn't the only cause of triggering this. I recommend that you follow closely with your doctor/psychiatrist and obtain appropriate blood work if not already done (TSH, CMP, UA) and take all medications as prescribed.

If you have any further questions, please ask. Otherwise please click accept.