Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),30yrs experience in practice
15267045

I have a burning / tingling sensation in my penis (top and

Customer Question

I have a burning / tingling sensation in my penis (top and middle area) as well as a burning sensation in my rectum. I also feel stinging which travels to my penis, and if I sit too long I feel a very tense feeling inside my rectum so i try to avoid sitting for too long.

I have taken a UTI test, gonorrhea, and chlamydia test which were all negative.

Does this sound like an STD?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

How long the symptoms are there?

Which specialist did you consult?

Is there any previous disease?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've had symptoms for about 2 months. I first had sore pain in my testicles, and was having trouble emptying my bladder.

I went to the doctor, and he took a urine sample, which he said I had some inflammatory blood cells in the urine. He also checked my prostate size which he said was a little bigger than normal (im not sure if he said enlarged or inflamed).

He gave me cipro for about 9 days, 500mg twice a day. The sore testicles disappeared and i was back to my normal flow of urine. He then also massaged my prostate and got a fluid sample, (not sure if it was cultured) he walked out of the room and walked back in and said he didn't see prostitus at that time.

I explained to him that i had a weird feeling inside my anus, but it wasn't as severe as it is now, so he said it's nothing major to worry about and could just be muscle spasms.

The pain in my anus became more painful, especially while sitting down for long periods of time - I bought a doughnut to sit on, which helps with the pain but I still have a feeling of either burning, or more of a very tense feeling inside, like there is something stuck in there. Gradually, after a week - my penis is now sending "shock" like signals, and burning sensation. I don't have these feelings while urinating. And the pain in my anus is way less when I don't sit down during the day.

I consulted a Urologist.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 2 years ago.
Did you have any trauma in this area?

Do you use bicycle more?

Is there any previous disease like diabetes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No Trauma, I haven't excersized in a little while. and I don't have diabetes.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the information,

Your symptoms of testicular pain, bigger size of prostate on examination, anal pain suggest prostate inflammation or infection.

Here the pain or burning can be felt in penis too.

But when the urologist did not think it is prostatitis, then other cause can be there.

There can be nerve impingement causing such symptoms.

Nerve disease or neuropathy can cause it.

Pudendal neuralgia can cause such symptoms.

The symptoms can worsen on prolonged sitting.

You need to take a review by your doctor & discuss those issues.

I hope this information helps.

Happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.'
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are these curable? And what would cause this?
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 2 years ago.
Dear customer, Greetings.The weird feeling in the rectum and burning sensation in the penis would be suggestive of chronic prostatitis.Since the urologist ruled out prostatitis at the first examination,it may have set in subsequently.Perhaps a re-examination of the prostrate with examination of the prostatic fluid after a prostrate massage would help rule out the problem.Other possibilities include Nongonococcal Urethritis(NGU),Herpetic urethritis due to HSV2,pelvic floor muscle spasms,interstitial cystitis or bladder infections,pelvic neuralgia or pudendal neuropathy,and nonbacterial prostatitis.You probably need another urology consultation to pinpoint the current problem.Chronic Prostatitis will need antibiotics for a much longer than usual period of time(maybe 6-8 weeks) along with prostatic massage and sitz bath.Ruling out local problems at the anus like anal fissure and hemorrhoids would be prudent.
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),30yrs experience in practice
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was testes for urethritis. I gave my first morning urine sample which the doctor said he was testing for urethritis. I don't have or ever had any sores or lesions anywhere, I don't itch either. Does this sound like Herpetic urethritis??? I guess now I'm a little freaked out. I've been having these symthoms for about a month now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: I need an answer sooner than later, I am just worried.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--I just picked up your question. Have you had colonoscopy or an MRI of the spine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
And when you had the digital prostate exam was there any tenderness or pain at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was not a digital exam, he felt the prostate with his finger and told me it feels inflamed. Tools me to take some Advil and come back. When I came back, he massaged my prostate and took a sample of my semen to see if I had prostititus which he said was negative. My anus became more and more tense as I sit more, I returned to him - and without any further testing ( or to even see if my prostate was inflamed) he said I am having muscle spams and anxiety issues - because I keep asking about herpes. Which again I have no lesions, itches, Rashes, or anything but the burning in my inner thigh is scaring me.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well, by digital I meant finger up the rectum--was there any tenderness or pain?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, the "awareness' started about a week after that first time he felt it, and then gradually started getting worse. I did not feel any pain when he did it thoug.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
But now you have burning in and around the anus?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, if I sit on it for a while, it feels like there is something in there
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
So just to be clear--there may or may not have been any cultures or blood tests for herpes done?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No there have not, but the urologist assured me he doesn't see a single sign of herpes.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
So why the Cipro?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He told me later on that he gave me cipro, because the last time I had these issues in my testicals the cipro helped, although I did not have an infection. ( so he gave it to me because I asked) he took my urine sample twice, first time there was inflammatory cells, after I returned, nothing in my urine. He also did a test for urithritis and was negative as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
By the way, no rashes, lesions, sores, or itchiness..
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
What was the test for urethritis?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
First two urine samples were just for infection and inflammatory cells, third test was for urithritis . The pain started to get worse after all the tests and I have not been sexually active after the test.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Let me add that the test for urithritis was a month after my last sexual contact
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
The only test I know for urethritis is a urethral swab sent for culture--was that done?