Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

Hello, Im a forty year old male that seems to constantly worry

Hello, I'm a forty year old male that seems to constantly worry and stress over everything. Also, I find it very difficult to sleep, because my mind will not let me rest. I was wondering if an anti-anxiety medicine would benifit me.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to the Just Answer Website.

Cause of anxiety attack is the body's normal "alarm system," the set of mental and physical mechanisms that allows a person to respond to a threat, tends to be triggered unnecessarily, when there is no danger.Stress may occur in any anxiety disorder, usually in response to a specific situation tied to the main characteristic of the disorder.

There are many different types of drugs used in the treatment of depression, including selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), atypical antidepressants, tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs), and monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs).

Your doctor can do tests to know the cause,type,level & degree of depression/stress/anxiety like:Zung Self-Rating Depression Scale,Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression (HRSD),The Epworth Sleepiness Scale,Actigraphy & other tests for sleep disorder.So I advice you to make an appointment with Psychiatrist for these tests & treatment will be done accordingly.

Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.