Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I have had o surprise pain on the left side of my throat for

Customer Question

I have had o surprise pain on the left side of my throat for about 9 months now. It comes and goes but it hurts everyday. Recently the pain has gotten worse and the whole left side of my neck is slightly swollen. My left tonsil is also swollen and has turned a whitish color. I dont have medical insurance so I haven't gone to a Dr yet. I'm starting to worry about all kinds of crazy things that could be related to this pain. Can anyone give me advice?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Sounds like you have Strep tonsilitis but you could also have a tonsillar abscess. Either of these needs evaluation and antibiotics since untreated Strep can lead to rheumatic fever and rheumatic heart disease. You really need to see a doctor about this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's only one tonsil that is slightly white and the pain isn't coming from my tonsil its coming from my throat. Only on left side right behind my jaw bone. Its weird that all of the pain is only on the left side of my neck.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
No whiteness of the tongue? Where exactly is the pain?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
On the left side of my neck/throat, behind where my lymph nodes are, and is right behind my jaw bone. The pain is very Sharp pain and comes and goes through out the day. The pain is also spreading into my left ear. It's not excruciating its just very uncomfortable. I don't have any tooth pain so I don't think its my teeth either. Also I have been waking up with a burning in my throat for the past few months as well, but the burning normally subsides by mid to late afternoon.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
That sounds like it might be trigeminal neuralgia--inflammation of a cranial nerve and not an infection. That can be treated with Tegretol but you still need to have the white tonsil looked at.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have no pain in my face or jawbone . Could the swelling of my lymph nodes and ear pain also be a sign of this. Could inflammation of my artery also be something to look into?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Well, what you described still is part of the face in my view. This wouldn't be something like temporal arteritis or a carotid artery problem.