Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Ive been experiencing frequent nosebleeds recently. They seem

I've been experiencing frequent nosebleeds recently. They seem to coincide with headaches and last for up to an hour. I saw a doctor about this several years ago. He took my blood pressure etc and cauterized the vein in my nose. In the end all I can remember is that he said the blood vessels in my nose were extremely close to the surface. The nosebleeds stopped for years but are back now with a vengence. I also have to admit that ay that time I was under a great deal of stress and now I am again. Do you have any advice for me other than to remove the causes of stress.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Can you tell me what happens with one of these bleeds?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hmm. Well I really have no warning. I just suddenly realize my nose is bleeding. Profusely. I keep sipping it up until just as suddenly it quits. It has lasted for up to and even over an hour. today it was about 45 minutes but it often comes back again within a few hours. I can tell my body is trying to clot the flow but it seems to take so long to finally stop
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Are your nostrils especially dry? Any medical conditions or medications?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I meant sopping it up with kleenex. (!?). Anyway. No medical conditions really no high blood pressure. I do have hypothyroidism. Take levothyroxine for that. About dryness well it has always happened in the winter so I do think dryness is involved.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
So you haven't had an otolaryngologist--an ENT specialist--look at your nose?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Well, it could be dryness of the nasal mucosa and Vaseline in each nostril daily could help with that. That said you need to see if anything needs to be cauterized now and then an ENT exam to see if you have nasal polyps or some other abnormality that's causing this.