Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I used a netti pot about a week ago using tap water I am concerned

I used a netti pot about a week ago using tap water I am concerned of contracting the killer ameba.I do live in Indiana which ive heard it only happened in southern states. I have a stiff neck and sinus pressure no feve. I worry alot
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Did you boil the water first? How many times did you use the Neti pot?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I did not boil it I had used it couple months b4 washed it out with hot water and this time only used it once
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
And are you having any new symptoms now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I am a hyprochondriac so when I read that online I emediatly got concerned I have alot of anxiety I have no fever no headache I do have tense neck and shoulders feel a little foggy and a cough and random stuffy nose
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK. I think chances are excellent you haven't contracted the amoeba infection but you should boil the water and disinfect the pot with each use. That said, if you get fever, nausea, severe headache, stiff neck, vision changes--any or all of those--you need to see a doctor right away. To ease your mind, it would be a good idea just to call your doctor and let him know the concerns you've shared with me.