Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

hi, i was just doing some house cleaning and all of a sudden

Customer Question

hi, i was just doing some house cleaning and all of a sudden my left index finger has this orange brown stain on top. what might be the cause of that
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
Where exactly is the stain-finger or nail? What were you using for the cleaning? Your age and medical conditions?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The stain is at the top of my finger under the nail. I was just using some dettol wipes. I dont have any medical conditions that i know of. I am 28 years old. Female
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
So this just suddenly appeared and there isn't a problem with the other fingers or the rest of your skin? Do you eat a lot of carrots?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no i actually i barely eat carrots. and yes it just appeared all of a sudden. Nothing on any other part of the skin
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
So does this appear to be the skin under the nail and not the nail itself?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes not the nail its the skin under it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 5 years ago.
OK. This is probably a fungal infection of the nail and not the skin itself. If it were the skin I'd expect more fingers to be involved as with hypercarotenosis which can be seen in diets rich in carotene. So nothing particularly serious but you need to have your doctor look at it.