Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

can someone, preferably in chat mode, explain to me the difference

can someone, preferably in chat mode, explain to me the difference between iron and hemoglobin. I had a full blood test 18 months ago with everything normal- since then i have given blood and every time i go give blood, the hemoglobin is lower(started out as 15.6 and the last time is was 12.5- the lowest it can be to give blood) It has been 3 months since i have given blood and am considering going today, but fear my hemoglobin to be low...what should i do. I am a a college student that has monthly normal 5 day periods and take multi viatmins with 18mg of iron
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Sorry but the chat mode is disabled for the moment. How often do you donate blood?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i usually donate as often as I can- i have donated 6 times in the last year and a half

November 2010 15.6 hg
January 2011 14.5 hg
April 2011 14.1 hg
June 2011 13.5 hg

there was a blood donation try in august and hemoglobin was too low-12.1

September 2011 12.8hg
October 2011 12.5hg

So 3 months and a 1/2 months since i last donated
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK. Obviously your hemoglobin is dropping and it wouldn't seem that it's from your periods. An anemia panel that measures ferritin, iron stores, and % iron saturations as well as B 12 levels and a peripheral smear to see if the red cells are smaller or larger than normal can detect iron deficiency anemia as well as B 12 deficiency. If it's low iron you need upper and lower endoscopy to see if there's occult bleeding in the GI tract from gastritis, a peptic ulcer, colon polyps or cancer, etc. There could be an problem with iron absorption too.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
you dont think this is related to donating blood?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Possibly, but the drop seems a bit more than I would expect with just donation. Easy enough to check by checking after two or three months have passed since your last donation.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, so do you recommend i try to give- it has been 3 1/2 months
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
I'd rather see you go to your doctor and have a CBC and an anemia screen--more specific that what the blood bank would run.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i will get a blood test, but for now I was able to donate today with a hemoglobin of 14.1-good!