Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I love and want to eat nuts, berries, and all the foods that

I love and want to eat nuts, berries, and all the foods that are super healthy, however I have diverticuli (not real extreme, several minimal sized pockets). I never see this condition mentioned while advising to eat this type of diet. Please advise. Thank you..
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Have you actually spoken to your doctor or a nutritionist about this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have had a colonoscopy, where they have found diverticulia, several medium sized in the descending colon. I have had some discomfort there over the years so at one point was told to stay away from nuts, berries, seeds, beans. One Dr. said that this has diet has been disproved, that is all that was said. No I haven't talked to a nutritionist, that is why I am asking you at this time. I want to eat this type of food, just not sure if I should.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
And what diet specifically did he say was disproved?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I went to my GP I told him I had started eating nuts, berries, basically a Meditteranian type diet, when I
started having pain. He treated me for diverticulitis. I had been told that this type of diet should not be eaten if you have diverticuli. I told him I guess I shouldnt have started eating healthy ie. nuts, berries, beans, etc., and he said that has been disproven, meaning I guess I can eat the above. Haven't eaten this since then. While watching Dr. Travis basically everything he said we should be eating - I can't??
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK. Nothing wrong with the Mediterranean diet except for inclusion of the nuts and berries and corn. As for a nutrient rich diet that is more specific than the Mediterranean one I suggest the book Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman MD.