Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

~Took Sulfatrim to combat sinus infection.

Took Sulfatrim to combat sinus infection. Seemed to trigger pink eye almost immedaite;y. Its as if a contraction of the tear duct shot the infection into one eye. Is this possible? Anything else to worry about, as the drug seems to be working well otherwise, and the pink eye is reducing as well?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
The pink eye is probably just a coincidence here or perhaps just because your body was fighting an infection. Conjunctivitis is most frequently viral and goes away on its own in a few days with no treatment.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hmmm. Every time i take my dose - I still have about a week's worth - I feel within 5 or 10 minutes, a drying in the area of my tear duct. This was especially noticeable the first time I took the drug, and it was wihtin 5 or 10 minutes that the pink eye showed up. It was not a gradual appearance either. 1 minute I am suddenly looking through a right eye which is hazzy/foggy, then I see mucus droplets in the eye. It was uncanny.

I should also note when I called my MD about this, he seemed flumuxed and suggested I go to emergency immediately. I was shocked and asked him why. He hemmed and hawed and said something about hoping it wasn't my heart. I could not believe this was necessary. My heart rate was normal, nothing else was happening that I could feel to warrant such a panic. I need a new GP!

Anyway - a discussion with a local optometrist led him and I to beleive it was likely just pink eye, and the oral drug should knock this out, but I could also use topical polysporin for a few days to help - I am doing this.

So - at least you believe I have nothing else to worry about? My infection is subsiding in both the eye and sinus area. There is quite the massive load of side-effects on the web pertaining to this drug, so I am hoping I am not missing anything. Other than some mild headaches, I have been sympton free so far - no rashes, aches, etc.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
The antibiotic might be helping if this were a bacterial conjunctivitis, but, as I said, if it's the more likely viral type, antibiotics don't affect that. If the eye problem were from the antibiotic I'd expect both eyes to be affected. All in all I don't think you have anything to worry about here.