Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

For the last 3 weeks i have been getting heartburn when i wake

For the last 3 weeks i have been getting heartburn when i wake up every morning. Can you please explain why ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me what the symptom is that you refer to as heartburn?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It feels like a burning. Quite uncomfortable feeling where the breast bone is. I wake up in the morning and i start to feel it almost straight away. If you swallow something and it feels like it gets stuck, thats where the burning is ?
I hope this helps ?
I had a power nap this afternoon when i got home from work and i had the same symptoms again when i woke.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
How long does it last once you get up in the morning? It never returns later in the day?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I would say it lasts around 5 mins. It has'nt returned during the day but it did today as stated in my previous message
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Well my first thought is that this is from gastric reflux and you may have a hiatal hernia that, when you're in bed or lying down, allows acid to drain up your esophagus, Not eating for at least two hours before bed time, raising the head of the bed or using extra pillows, and Zantac or Pepcid AC can help. That said, any chest discomfort like this could be from the heart and not the stomach so I'd advise seeing a doctor about this just to be sure.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice