Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

What drug test will expose misuse of Oxycotin?

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Can you be a bit more specfic about the term misuse? Are you asking if a specific panel will pick it up?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am the Safety officer for an electrical testing company. We have a concern regarding the possible abuse by one of our field tehnicians of pain killers, more specifically Oxycotin or a related drug. I want to send him for a test that might confirm or not his use of one of these drugs. I know the standard 5 panel test wil not yield the info I need.

We are prepared to get him help if he needs it.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
You're right about the usual panels not picking up the synthetic opiates like oxycodone/oxycontin. I'd suggest you send him to the lab with an order for both urine and blood screens for oxycodone, hydrocodone, methadone, and hydromorphone. That should cover the most common opiates of abuse not seen on standard panels.