Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Just finished my medication course & have a question. Q Your

Customer Question

Just finished my medication course & have a question.
Q Your giving a patient medications. The chart states Resprim Forte is to be given. I cannot see this in the patients drawer but find a generic medication composing Trimethoprim 80mg & Sulfamethazole 400mg. Would you give this medication? Explain how you decided on your answer. Answer: I would say no, as I do not know the drug. Then I would look it up.
Can you give me some ideas about these drugs . The question is worth 5 marks so I will need some good answers and explainations please.
Hope you can help me
Tricia
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--the two terms are the same medication. If you're asking if the chart orders would be appropriately followed by giving the generic, it would be the same but of course you should first check with the doctor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think will need more information to get 5 points for the question can you give some
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK but I'm a little unclear about the question itself--can you type it in word for word?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You are giving a patient their medications. The chart states Resprim Forte is to be given. You cannot see this in the patients drawer but find a generic medication composing Trimethoprim 80mg and Sulfamethazole 400mg. Would you give this medication? Explain how you decided on your answer?

That is the question

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
What is the meaning of "you?" A nurse? What is meant by the patient's drawer--the medicine cart? And what is meant by "find?"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a medication competency test with this question on it. I have to do it before I can give medications, as I first said I have just finished my medication endorsement. This cMedication Competency test is our hospital policy
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--the way the question is stated is still somewhat vague but the bottom line is if the order read specifically for Resprim Forte then the doctor's intention was for the brand name medication to be given and not the generic form. Although there really wouldn't be any difference, if there were ever a question about a doctor's orders not being followed explicitly then the doctor needs to be consulted before anything is done.