Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Is hair loss a symptom of hiv? My hair is thinning out all

Is hair loss a symptom of hiv? My hair is thinning out all of a sudden and I had unprotected sex about four months ago. I was just wondering if that was a symptom because I have heard that it will change your hormones.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Your age and gender? Can you tell me more about the hair problem and was that the only problem you've had?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am 22 and I am a female. About two weeks after I had sex I had a herpes outbreak. About four weeks after that (so six weeks in all) I had a gential warts outbreak. At that six weeks I got tested for HIV and tested negative. Since then I have not had any outbreaks of any kind. I did have a red rash that was above my collar bone and it was little red bums the area about the size of my hand about four moths after sex. Also, another thing that happened that I heard could be related is I had strep (it was confirmed as strep) about three months after.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
And what is the problem with your hair?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It just seems like more is falling out when I take a shower and it is more tangled all the time. Like it looks kind of like it is dreading itself. I have ethnic hair.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Any other medical conditions?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK--not a sign of HIV. Could just be alopecia which can happen and then resolve itself in a few months. Other causes could be thyroid, vitamin deficiency and scalp infections like tinea but not from HIV.