Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

hAVE HAD A SOAR THROAT FOR MONTHS AND WHAT FEELS LIKE PLUGGED

Customer Question

hAVE HAD A SOAR THROAT FOR MONTHS AND WHAT FEELS LIKE PLUGGED LEFT EAR ONLY. HAVE HAD 2 SETS OF ANTIBIODICS. ALSO LEFT
NOSTRIL IS PLUGGED IN THE MORNING. NOR SURE DURING THE DAY ABOUT THE LEFT NOSTRIL. THIS ALL STARTED LAST OCTOBER-2010.
ABOUT TO MAKE APPT. WITH EAR,NOSE, AND THROAT DOCTOR.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 5 years ago.

With a sore throat for months; following should be considered for your symptoms;

1) Epstein Barr virus (EBV)-associated mononucleosis

2) Parapharyngeal space infections,

3) Peritonsillar abscess ("quinsy"), and

4) Submandibular space infection

Following investigations, should be done (your primary care physician can perform them, though ENT specialist would be ideal);

1) Throat cultures have been the "gold standard" for diagnosing GAS (group A streptococcus) pharyngitis and another pathogen, such as N. gonorrhoeae.

2) Blood counts

3) EBV virus antibodies

4) Indirect laryngoscopy (ENT specialist see the inside of the throat by a mirror).

5) Lateral (side neck)) cervical view of the plain radiograph, exposed for soft tissue detail.

6) Blood work for diabetes.

If the throat culture is positive and counts show the infection, injectable antibiotics would be needed. Antibiotics of choice are;

1) Penicillin G plus metronidazole

2) Clindamycin

3) Cefoxitin

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In final stages of kidney failure, GFR is 19. Sould this make any difference

If your urine output is more than 1000 ml per day; this would not make any difference.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Have been back to see my primary doctor twice since October. I do like him. Would you go back again or see a specialist.
Discuss the investigations with the primary care physician; who may be willing to order them (especially if the ENT appointment is not early). If not, seek an appointment with the specialist.

It is privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun