Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I have a hard lump in my pubic area near the base of my penis.

I have a hard lump in my pubic area near the base of my penis. It is small, and has been there for a while. Lately, I have been noticing slight bleeding when pressed and pus. IT also seems to smell very bad.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

How long the lump is there?

When did it start to bleed & discharge pus?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I cant remember for sure, but It has been there for a few months at least. It started to bleed / discharge (when pressed) in the last couple of weeks - thats when I noticed the smell.

Its about the size of half a lentil.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the information,

From your symptoms it appears to be epidermoid/sebaceous cyst.

The cause is due to swollen hair follicle.

Trauma to skin can initiate it.

Discharging blood & pus can be due to an infection.

You need to get it examined by doctor.

Warm moist compress can be applied.

Antibiotics can be needed.

Other treatments include surgical excision, corticosteroid injection, laser etc

I hope this information will be helpful.

Please ask if you need any clarification.

Best wishes.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have an update on this and a further question if you don't mind.

My doctor agreed with you that it was an infected hair follicle. I advised him to investigate further as I had had protected sex with a new partner (I was worried that the condom may not have covered the area if it was open by chance).

My doctor did the following tests with normal results -

1. CHLAMYDIA/GC, URINE AMPLIFIED PROBE TECHNIQUE
  2. TREPONEMA PALLIDUM IGG + IGM
  3. HIV

After a long time when there was no improvement with antibiotics and Neosporin, the doctor surgically removed the cyst. The wound healed in time even though the holes from the stitches were bleeding once in a while.

Today I noticed another lump around 1 cm to the right of the stitches and a small amount of blood from it.

Please can you advise on what this could be? I am really concerned regarding this.

- Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
    Relist: Other.
    Asked follow up question, not yet received an answer.
    Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
    Hi--is this identical to the previous lump? How long has this one been there?
    Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your quick response.

This one is quite similar to the previous one. It has been around for maybe 4 days to a week. Only today did I notice it being slightly open and a drop of blood on it.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
    How long ago was the cyst removed and are you concerned that this time it could be an STD?
    Customer: replied 2 years ago.
    The cyst was removed on the 19th of April. I have had sex only recently with my 'regular' partner. No one else.
    Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
    So are you concerned that this is something other than what it was before--an infected hair follicle and cyst?
    Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I really don't know doc. I'm still trying to figure out what it could be. It looks like it is the same. But would an infected hair follicle appear like this again right next to the first one? Seems like too much of a co-incidence to me and it is freaking me out.

My doctor was convinced that it was an infected hair follicle and even removed the cyst. All the cultures that came back were normal. I just need to know what else this could be or if this is normal for infected hair follicles.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
    How exactly was the cyst removed?
    Customer: replied 2 years ago.
    I was given a local anesthetic and then they used a punch. I was then stitched up.
    Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
    And how close to that cyst is what you have now?
    Customer: replied 2 years ago.
    Around 1.5-2 centimeters.
    Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
    OK--two possibilities here--the exact same problem, just in a new area, or this is really the same cyst as before. To fully remove a cyst one has to get all of the cyst wall and just a punch procedure and suturing doesn't do that. Either way, nothing serious but the new lesion will have to be taken care of and may need a full excision this time around.
    Customer: replied 2 years ago.
    Doc, if you don't mind could you explain to me why you think it is not serious? I don't mean to be a pest, but as you can imagine I'm as freaked out as I could possibly get.
    Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
    Well, not serious as in not an STD. And not cancer if you were worried about that. One thing, though--if there's pus in this, it should be cultured because it could be MRSA--and before you freak out, that's just a routine staph infection--and you may be a carrier, so you should have your nasal passages cultured to see if you have MRSA there. If that's the case, bactroban ointment can eradicate that.
    Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
    Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
    Customer: replied 2 years ago.
    I guess I'm wondering how you conclude that it doesn't seem to be an STD?