Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

The nerve goingi down from my neck to my hand is on fire and

The nerve goingi down from my neck to my hand is on fire and hurts enough for an epiddural. I am also shaky: it's hard to type as I can't control my fingers. I also have trouble standing and walking---very, very weak and shaky. (I have fibromyalgia.) What' wrong?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 years ago.
Greetings.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

What is your age and gender?
Since when are your symptoms?
What are the investigations and treatment done?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am a 61 yr old female. The symptomss have come and gome for about 2 years. I also just had a diskectomy to correct severe cervical spinal stenosis. The disk was cutting into the spinal cord. The surgeon thought that there might be permanent damage and that the diskectomy itself would not correct for the burning, painful nerve. The surgery was in December. The ssymptoms are severe. I cannot even walk with my cane and I am having difficulty typing this e-mail.

Theresa

I should add that the pain was so great aI could not even where my watch. I could not have anything touch the lower hand and especially the hand.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for the further details.

Your symptoms are likely due to persistent compression on the cervical spine. So apart from physical therapy and epidurals; following may be helpful:

1) Gabapentin / Pregabalin

2) Recreational therapy; take part in pleasurable activities that help to decrease pain.

3) Vocational therapy; provide work capacities and targeted work hardening.

4) Sympathetic blocks

5) Bier block (intravenous regional block)

6) Continuous epidural infusion

7) Spinal cord stimulator

8) Baclofen pump; Intrathecal infusion (Intrathecal bupivacaine infusion or Morphine pump are the other alternatives)

9) Acupuncture

10) Relaxation techniques; associated with the above treatment.

12) Biofeedback training

You need to consult following specialists (if not yet done);

a) Pain management physician

b) MD in physical medicine and rehabilitation

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Among the options you provided, what would be my BEST choice?

Spinal cord stimulator or Baclofen pump would be good options. Physical therapy need to be continued with either of them.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Cana you explain what "Spinal cord stimulators and Baclofen pumps" are, especially the last one?
Spinal cord stimulator is a small device which is implanted in the spinal cord. This generates electrical stimulation which blocks the pain pathways and thus block the pain completely. Since this does not contain any medication; this does not have side effects or adverse effects. The Baclofen pump inject small amount of the medication called as baclofen in the spinal cord which helps in relaxing the muscles and thus the relief in pain. The device can be programmed for the dose and timing.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)