Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

hi dr arun! i sent you a message yesturday and somebody else

hi dr arun! i sent you a message yesturday and somebody else got the question and i hit the x that i didnt want nobody but you. now this mourning i had $36.00 in my account now i have $18.00. the question i sent you it saids locked what does this mean. did you get my question or do i need to send it again. second i dont like when i hit the x not to acceped anybody else and they give it to a kid who first of all has never had i client. this upsets me. i only talk to u and u only
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.

I am sorry. I did not get your question. You can get the refund for your last night's question. Please contact the customer support;

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx

Please repeat your question.

Thank you.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi dr arun!im still having these pains on my left side to my lower back and up to my left shoulder blde. my question was do you think this could be bladder cancer or something else.while im sitting here writing this my ches was hurting so bad. i have been checked by my heart doctor and i have had so many test done and he told me its not your heart. why would my chest hurt this bad.could it be gas or what? i think i might be having a nervous breakdown doc.

This is not likely to be bladder cancer. Since your heart is ruled out, kidney stone would be a possibility apart from the IBS. An ultrasound should be done for the evaluation with MRI of the back. These would clinch the diagnosis.

Dr. Arun
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what would make me have pains like i have never felt before in my chest. do u think it is serious. do you think i might be having a heart attack or what ? just because the all the test i have had dosent mean i cant have a heart attack does it?
Since you have all the heart tests; heart attack is unlikely. I do not think it is serious. Chest wall pain, myofascial trigger points are the likely cause.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
dr arun i more question. i took my blood pressure and it read 142 over 62 and paulse 95 is this good
Your blood pressure and pulse are slightly high. This can be just due to anxiety.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi dr arun! im having a cat scan when they can get it schuled. my question is if it isnt kinney stones do you think he might be something more serious yes i know you know what im going to say could i have cancer in the back or kiddney or bladder or anywhere what are the chances my friend, i know i worry more than anyone you ever have met or talked to im sorry for that but i trust you. your very patient with me and kind i really appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.
Please do not worry about the cancer. This is not likely to be cancer with your symptoms. As we discussed a spinal issue also is the likely possibility.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi dr arun! i have 1 question and i need a honest answer and i know you will give it to me. just left the gastogligst doctor and he order a cat scan of the pelvis and abdominal w/wo contrast. myleft side feels like it is caving in and the pain is all across the stomic and back do you think i have pancreas cancer. or do u think its is ibs

Ordering of CT scan is most likely for the cautionary reason and is for screening. Your symptoms are more pointer to IBS and diverticulitis.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
dr arun sorry i didnt get back with you! he is what is going on with me first my stomach hurts if i eat or drink.second my stomach feels nausea and bloated. if it was my pancreas would i hurt all the time? my doctor saids you dont have to have yellow jaundice to have pancreas cancer. he thinks its severe ibs. why do you think its not the pancreas.he said hes not 100%sure but he dosent believe that its the pancreas.he said you dont have to have systoms if there is something wrong with the pancreas is this true?
Pancreas cancers are usually painless and if they become painful; jaundice appears. A continuous symptom point to IBS with bloating point to IBS and diverticulosis.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok lets go this way could there be something wrong with the stomach on the outside.had a scope done in september and it was great. what are the chances of me having a tumor or mass on the stomach. the reason i am asking you all these questions the doctor saids he dont know what else he can do for me. im really scared.is my stomach always going to hurt and em i going to feel nausea all the time and is this going to get worst? you know i trust you with all my heart and you been threw alot with me sence my son committed sucided.you have been there with me almost 4 years. another question do you think the cat scan will be normall?
I think your CAT scan would be normal. With your endoscopy being normal in September; there is unlikely to be any abnormality in stomach. Your symptoms aggravation can be due to anxiety too.Following can help;

Anxiety can be treated by the following measures by yourself;

1) Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and operant-behavioral therapy (OBT); done by a psychologist.

2) Relaxation training and biofeedback.

3) Hypnosis

4) Acupuncture and acupressure

5) Yoga

6) Meditation

7) Group sporting activities

8) St. John's wort

9) Melatonin
10) Valerian root

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so you think i will be fine and my pancreas will be normall correct? and no cancer of stomach or pancreas also
Yes, your CT would be normal and pancreas or stomach cancer is unlikely with your symptoms.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi dr arun! happy easter to you and your love ones. dr they didnt do the ct because insurance wouldnt approve it.my systoms are getting worse. standing up or sitting down or laying down my left side from the hip bone all the way up close to my arm pit just under neath the arm pit. back of my back is hurting now also. stomach hurts on and off here and there. what do you think this is. my gastoligst doctor dont know what else to do. we have tried everthing. for paancreas cancer what to they mean by dull pain?im not losing weight and i still eat but when i eat i get bloated. i think there is something wrong and im afraid their going to catch it when its to late.why cant they fine out whats wrong? helpppp

If the insurance is not approving CT scan; your doctor may consider an ultrasound. I would not be suspecting a cancer with these symptoms as an initial diagnosis. I would consider, hiatal hernia, diverticulosis, IBS, peptic ulcer or non specific dyspepsia with these symptoms. Your anxiety may also be the likely cause for significant aggravation of your symptoms.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
you mean your side can hurt this bad with ibs? i take nexium 40 mg a day. doctor said that stops ulcers.if i had so many endoscopys done dont you think he would have seen hiatal hernia, or diverticulosis, o peptic ulcer. what does dyspepsia mean? my doctor said that you can have pain all in your stomach and your back with pancreattis cancer and you dont have to have yellow jaundice.i fell like im being used as a ginney pig and im get very upset.
I am surprised that your doctor talked in these terms. A pancreatic cancer causing so much pain would likely be amenable to physical exam (palpable lump). A GERD would require pH estimation and food pipe pressure study, as it may not be diagnosed by endoscopy. A GERD/hiatal hernia can cause pain in chest (even up to upper portion). Dyspepsia (indigestion) is best described as a functional disease. (Sometimes, it is called functional dyspepsia.). It entails symptoms such as upper abdominal pain, belching, nausea, vomiting, abdominal bloating etc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so dr arun your saying that when you have severe pain that its to late with panceas cancer.that means you usally dont have systoms untill its to late correct? so you really believe in your heart there is no cancer in stomach or pancreas? i think the world of you dr arun, you talk like you have common sense.
Yes, I do not think that your pain or other symptoms are likely due to cancer of stomach or pancreas. If your insurance is not willing for CT (which seems that they have seen your previous records and do not think you need it; that further is a pointer that they also are thinking that you do not have any significant issue), you may get an ultrasound. So your worry would be over.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HI DR ARUN! I HAD BLOOD WORK DONE YESTURDAY AND GOT MY RESULTS BACK TODAY! MY BLOOD UREA NITROGEN WAS 22MG/DL, MY GLUCOSE WAS 101, AND MY RED BLOOD COUNT WAS 4.36,AND MY MCH WAS 33.4 AND MY EOSPERCENT WAS 9.1.DO YOU THINK THAT I HAVE KIDDNEY PROBLEMS?THE DR OFFICE CALLED ME TONIGHT AND HE SAID HE WASNT WORRIED AND I PROBLEY WAS DHYDRATED. DO YOU AGREE OR DO U NOT AGREE? OTHER COUNTS WERE CREATININE WAS1.0 AND REFERENCE GFR/AGE WAS 93, MY LIPASE WAS 233, AND AMYLASE WAS 79, AND MY SGOT WAS 16, AND MY SGPT WAS26. SO IN YOU PROFESSION DO YOU THINK IM OK AND IM HEALTHY.
You do not have kidney problem as your GFR and creatinine are normal. You are healthy. Nothing worrisome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi dr arun! im still having these pains on my left side from the lower back to my hip all the way up to underneath my arm pit to the back on my shoulder blade all on the left side.do you still think im still healthy or do you think something is wrong sense its been awhile for me having this pain on the left side? WHATS YOUR OPINION DR ARUN?i still have the pain where my kiddney is on the left side also.but now its moving up right underneath my left shoulder blade.you know i trust you and been with you along time i really need your opinion i cant belive i can have this pain this long? dr arun do you think it could be back cancer?
I do not think it is cancer. This can be myofascial trigger point. Following may help;

1) passive stretching of the affected muscle after application of sprayed vapocoolant.

2) physical therapy; simple muscle stretch, augmented muscle stretch, post-isometric relaxation.

3) deep electrotherapy; iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation, high voltage galvanic stimulation, biofeedback.

4) local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

5) anti-inflammatory analgesics; Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil)

6) ischemic compression therapy; pressure on the points

7) massage

8) steroid shots

9) acupuncture

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
dr arun what is myofafcial? dr arun i just got home from my follow up from my gastroenterology dr. He has no clue why my left side hurts like this. he order me a remnal ultrasound which is for the kiddneys. he told me i dont have a bad kiddney ,he not worried about that.He did say he wanted me to have it just to see if a might have a kiddney stone or maybe a mass in there. dr arun your opinion do you think i have a mass in the kiddney or do you think something else is going on.i asked him if there was a mass wouldnt my blood work be all wacked out and he said not nessassuary.i also asked him wouldnt i be loosing weight and he said not really maybe later what do you think dr arun?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
dr arun didyou get my reply?
Kidney mass if becomes painful; they would always cause blood in urine or other problem in urine. So I do not think that you have kidney mass. Myofascial means muscle and fascia (which is tissue underneath the skin); pain of these tissues are called myofascial pain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
why do you think the doctor is so lost about me. he cant figure out whats wrong.he has me worried because he dont know what to do.do you mean i would see blood in the toliet. doctor what do you realy think is going on and why do i have this pain , and why wont it go away.do you still believe im still healthy and do you think the ultrasound will be normal.
Ultrasound in all likelihood has to be normal. Doctor it seems is not examining you properly. A kidney issue will always show abnormal urine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so your saying im healthy and not to worry correct? one question who should i be going to to fix what is wrong with me dr arun?
Yes, in all likelihood there is no physical issue. You may need anxiety reducing medications, which would help in fixing it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
dr arun thankyou for being so patient with me . i take klonopin 1mg4 times a day for anxiety attacks. i know you have been trying to help me for a long time.im just so confussed dr.im realy upset this pain wont go away and im tired of going to doctors. i feel like a ginney pig. excusse my french!
Please do not worry. Consult an MD in physical medicine and rehabilitation; who deal with myofascial pain and they would be resolve the issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well dr arun my appt is tomorrow at 3:15 eastern time. i hope you are correct that im going to be fine. they are going to check the bladder also because they tole me not to go to the restroom so they can check the bladder. you still think i will be fine rite dr?
I do not think there is anything serious like cancer and your exam is likely to be normal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hay dr arun! if the bladder or the kiddney had a mass would i have severe pain where i couldnt stand it? do you know if i wasst affraid to fly i would come and see you thats how much i trust you and how much i have respect for you.im realy concerned today i hope im ok.
Bladder and kidney mass are usually painless. Since you have significant pain; this is the reason, I think it to be muscular.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

remember my blood work was good and the kiddney was good. so if there was a problem wouldnt of shown in the blood work. lets just say if they did fine a mass would that mean i would be dying or could they cure me.with all the test i have had if there was something wrong it would be early stage?do you think it can be something else wrong somewhere else in the body but i feel it on my left side even tho it might be something wrong on the right side? i did just have a mri done on my lungs not even 6 months and it was normal. in you professional opinion do you think im healthy?

With all your investigations being normal I would not think anything serious or progressed disease. So it would be an easily treatable disease. I think you are healthy except there are some muscular pain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi dr arun! i havent for got you. question you know i had a cat scan of the lungs about 6 months ago.my question to you is i have these systoms hard time breathing sometimes . standing up or bending down its seems hard to get my breath. now my cat scan came back unremarkable on the lungs.do you feel i might have lung problems or what do you think.chest hurts some times also and lower back.
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome.

This is a good news. An unremarkable CT means that everything is normal. The hurting or chest and lower back can be due to anxiety and muscle pain. Physical therapy would help you. Massage, acupuncture, deep electrotherapy also will be beneficial.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what about trying to catch my breath why is this happing if you feel that the lungs are normal. remember lung cancer runs in the familly?why is it seem hard to catch my breath sometimes . even as im sitting down typing to you its hard to catch my breath.
A CT scan of the lung is a very sensitive investigation and would detect even a tiny cancer. We should forget about it. Just an anemia can cause breathlessness. Anxiety also can cause breathlessness. Hard to catch breath while sitting is a classical symptom of anxiety.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr Arun! I woke up this mourning and my chest is hurting and going up stairs or walking and even sitting im having a hard time catching my breath!.if you say it isnt the lungs than what can it be? Could it be a cold in the chest or is it something else in the body like maybe the pancreas, or the liver or the heart? I have had all kinds of test done and everything came back great.Do you think im in any danger? I just dont understand why I'm having a hard time breathing?
With all investigations being normal, your anxiety is the most likely explanation for the breathing issue. You have to handle your anxiety by the following measures;

2) Relaxation training and biofeedback.

3) Hypnosis

4) Acupuncture and acupressure

5) Yoga

6) Meditation

7) Group sporting activities

8) St. John's wort

9) Melatonin
10) Valerian root

I am sure this is neither heart nor lung causing problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr arun! I checked I had my cat scan on August 11 2011.does that change your mind or do you still think no cancer of lungs?you still think its nothing serious.
A cancer lung does not cause breathlessness. So I still think it is unlikely to be cancer lung.

Please consider providing positive rating to the answer as this is the only way we are credited for the time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr arun do you think that if you think im might be anemia I have cancer some where else or bleeding somewhere in my body somewhere? Dr arun do you think I'm still healthy ?do you think I have that desesse called score or scope or do I have a blockage somewhere.
Your symptoms are most likely due to anxiety. Anemia is easily detected by the blood work. A bleeding in body would have some signs; this just won't present as breathlessness. You may ask your doctor to get the lung function tests which would give an idea for the cause of breathlessness. For ascetaining anemia following investigations are done;

1) Complete blood count (CBC)

2) Peripheral blood film

3) Vitamin B-12

4) Folate

5) Reticulocyte count

6) LDH

7) Thyroid-stimulating hormone

8) Serum creatinine and estimated glomerular filtration rate

9) Serum ferritin

10) Serum iron

11) Total iron-binding capacity

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr arun you think I'm healthy than correct?you dont think its cancer of the lungs.you think I will be fine? Your not concern that something is wrong correct?
No, I do not think it is cancer of lung. You are healthy. Your anxiety is causing you all these symptoms. You are absolutely fine (with all your investigations being normal). Please relax.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr arun! First of all I'm going to pay you so I dont want you to think I'm. Not. I wake up in the mourning and my chest hurts right away. If you say it is anxiety than my question is what is causing this?if I'm anemic can that be cured?I have never felt this before and I'm. Scared. Do you think it could be a cold or thyrode problem or something serous wrong.I loosing a little bit wait is this because I'm not eating?could it be esougeigal cancer like my doctor has?im trust trying to rule out things.if I had a cat scan of lungs a year ago could it be possible that I could get cancer of the lungs?Dr you know I trust you so I know you would tell me the truth.please. be patient with me you have known me 6 years! If I em anemica does that mean im bleeding somewherE else in the body? Is this cureable? Tell me what you think do you think im dying?
Anemia can be cured easily. The most common causes are;

1) iron deficiency (with or without blood loss),

2) chronic disease/inflammation

3) chronic kidney disease

4) deficiencies of folate or vitamin B-12,

5) diseases of the bone marrow

6) hypothyroidism, hypersplenism, and hemolytic anemia.

All are curable.

The weight loss is due to not eating properly because of anxiety. Esophagus cancer does not present as breathing issue. You do not have anything serious, otherwise I would have told you. Believe me, just try to get your anxiety and you would be alright. There is nothing serious going on. Your anemia, if detected, would not be due to bleeding but due to malnutrition (not eating properly). Thyroid disorder usually do not present with your symptoms and are not common in males, but still you may get the tests for it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi dr arunn! dr arun i have been very sick. i cant seemed to get over what i got. when i cough i cough up green and brown mucus plus dark and red blood .now when i cough its not blood most of the time do you think this could be lung cancer? my doctor told me that if this second round of zpack and steriods dont work he was sending me to a lung doctor. what do you think am i in any danger? my dad just had a stroke and heartatache last week.

No, it is not lung cancer. This is just infection which would go away with the antibiotics. You are not in danger.

I am sorry to hear about your Dad. It seems that it has increased your anxiety.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how come its taken 2 rounds of zpacks and steriods. and how come i cant get rid of this cough?do you think its broncittis.

Yes, this is likely to be bronchitis which can sometimes tedious to treat and can take quite long to resolve (almost 2-3 weeks occasionally). Nothing worrisome here.

Please click accept (or rate excellent / good) as this is the only way we get the credit for time and expertize.

Thank you.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

dr arun if it was lung cancer what kind of systoms would i have? i have had this flu and cough 4 about a month.you really believe its not lung cancer. whats causing blood to come up?

A lung cancer would cause weight loss, loss of appetite, chest pain, shortness of breath etc. Bronchitis or infection of lung can cause blood to come up. Chronic infection like mycobacterial infection may also cause blood in cough.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi dr arun! dr arun i need to know why do i cough up blood with siliva. not all the time. its bright red or dark sometimes what is causing this,veried worried.please help me . you know i trust you. do you think it is stomach cancer or lung cancer or bleeding from the brain.

Hello Duker,

This can be due to;

1) sinusitis
2) bronchitis
3) tuberculosis
4) acid reflux
5) other infections

You should get following investigations done, if not yet done;

1) upper gastrointestinal endoscopy (camera exam)
2) CT scan of lung
3) echocardiography
4) MRI of sinuses

A stomach cancer or lung cancer will cause other symptoms too like cough, weight loss, loss of appetite, lump abdomen. In the absence of these; you should not be worried.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what are the chances it is lung cancer or stomach cancer?

Zero in your case. Please do not worry. Unnecessary anxiety can cause all kind of problem and doubts in mind. Please relax.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

dr arun i had endoscopys done last year and mri of lungs last year and ches x rays done last month. if there was a sign of stomach cancer or lung cancer it would of shown correct.can stomach cancer and lung cancer grow that fast? do you think im dying doc?

You are not dying. Please do not worry at all. Your worry increases your symptoms. With all your investigations being normal; this cannot be cancer. This is likely to be acid reflux. For acid reflux (GERD), following would be helpful;

A. Herbs;

1) Cranberry
2) Peppermint

B. Homeopathy

1) Nux Vomica
2) Pulsatilla

C. Nutrition and supplements;

1) Multivitamin; vitamins A, C, E, the B vitamins, and trace minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, and selenium.
2) Probiotic supplement
3) Omega 3 fatty acid
4) Avoid; cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods, and margarine.5) Also avoid; white breads, pastas, and especially sugar, red meats,
6) Eat lean meats, cold water fish, tofu, beans, olive oil

Following also would be helpful;

1) antacids; Maalox

2) acid blocker; Prilosec

3) loosing weight, if overweight.

4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products

5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.

6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.

7) elevate head end of the be by 8 inches.

Please rate Good or Excellent (or accept) the answer.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr arun i take nexium 40mg for gerd.if you think im ok i will take your word.. if it was serious wouldnt blood be coming up by its self snd not with siliva.you dont think its throat cancer or a hemorige of the brain. if there was something really serios wrong would i be bleeding all the time.

There is nothing serious, I can assure you. A serious cause would have caused bleeding all the time. This can be just bleeding gum, so it is a trivial issue. Please do not loose your sleep over it. It is not a cancer. The blood is not coming from brain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi dr arun! question! I have had 2 hernias on left side and right side.can you die from hernias if you work out. I work out 3 times a week .I do legs and back Mondays, I do Wednesday adominal and cadro ,and Friday I do arms. can any of this hurt my hernias. I have been told you can die is this true.i told my doctor before he died that I had a hernia on both sides he told me to leave them alone.i know the only way to fix them is surgey is this correct. what do you suggest? your friendCustomerrick!!!

Hello and welcome,

One would not die by work outs with hernia. So you can continue the work outs, three times a week as you have been doing. Surgery is the only way to fix the hernias, as you understand.

It is privilege assisting you.

Only a positive rating gives us credit for the work, time and expertize, here. You can ask follow up questions, even after rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok ty for that but how than do the hernias get worse.the hernias are on each side by the pelvis erea.the pennis is in between them.so when do you know that the hernias can rupture or rap around my intesttines.i lift weights and that don't put strain on the hernias. can you live with the hernias

One can live with the hernia. Occasionally these may complicate and many need urgent surgery for obstruction or strangulation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I understand that. my question is when do I know if I have obstructin or strangulation.so lifting weights wont hurt me than what can cause my hernias to obstruct. im worried because they been bothering me.you know I trust you.do you think I need to see a doctor or em I ok.