Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I was shooting a gun at an enclosed shooting range. I put

I was shooting a gun at an enclosed shooting range. I put ear plugs in but it seems they didnt work. It has been 3 weeks and my ears still feel full and my hearing is very screwed up. I already had some tenitis but the ringibg is much worse now. Will it get better? I am 61 years old.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 years ago.

Was an audiometry done?
Did you consult an ENT specialist?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No not yet. The ER doc said it would go away within a month

This is ear drum injury which is causing tinnitus and ringing. This can take 4-6 weeks to go off. Following may help, meanwhile;

1) supplementation with vitamin A, vitamin C, cyanocobalamin, and nicotinic acid, or with magnesium, zinc, or copper.

2) clonazepam 0.5 mg at bedtime has been suggested. Another suggested medication has been alprazolam.

3) Tinnitus masking; Many people do not notice tinnitus if there is some background noise in the room.

a) may turn an FM radio

b) opt to purchase sound generators (like producing the sound of ocean waves).

c) specific tinnitus-masking devices are also marketed.

4) Tinnitus retraining therapy (TRT) involves retraining the subconscious part of the auditory system to accept the sounds associated with tinnitus as normal, natural sounds rather than annoying sounds. The goal is for the person to become unaware of their tinnitus.

5) Biofeedback and stress reduction - Biofeedback is a relaxation technique that teaches a person to control certain body functions, such as heart and breathing rate. Biofeedback may help to manage tinnitus-related distress by changing their reaction to it. One may experience relief of tinnitus symptoms once they are able to stop thinking of their tinnitus as bothersome or stressful.

6) Herbal remedies - Combinations of herbs (also called botanicals) Ginkgo biloba and melatonin are suppose to be slightly beneficial in treating tinnitus.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun