Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I periodically cough up lil clear to yellowish jelly like balls,

I periodically cough up lil clear to yellowish jelly like balls, sometimes they look speckled. I am a smoker, They are round and are jelly like, if I try to push down on it, it wants to hold shape, but isn't hard. Any idea?
Greetings.

Since when is this happening
Any known allergies?
Were any investigations done?
Do you have headache, nose blockage?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
For about a year now, not every day. Happens usually late at night to early morning after getting up. I will feel like coughing, then I will cough just a lil' bit and a lil' ball of jelly like comes out. Sometimes clear in color, sometimes yellow and sometimes its speckled with brown. After I cough, I'm fine for awhile. Doesn't happen every day, but enough to notice and wonder. No known allergies and I haven't seen a dr. - no insurance. No nose blockage that I'm aware of and I've always had headaches, not everyday, but can have upto 2 or more a week, if on computer or reading alot. Wasn't sure if something like this was considered a cancer scare. I smoke about a pack of cigerettes a day and have recently bought an electronic cigerette-hoping to quit that way. Thanks for any advice.
You are very welcome.

This is unlikely to be due to cancer. The most likely cause for it would;

1) Throat irritation; called as smoker's cough.
2) Sinusitis; headache and phlegm balls are common. A CT scan of sinuses would confirm it.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for information... What is your view on electronice cigerettes? I am hoping to quit that way, but wasn't sure if there's been enough studies to prove its a safe alternative. Thanks again.
You are most welcome.

The safety cannot be completely established. As there are no long term studies. So it is difficult to say anything (positive or negative) at this point of time.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun