Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

Ive just had my first 2 shots for Rabies vaccination prior

I've just had my first 2 shots for Rabies vaccination prior going to Bali. My third is due in 2 weeks. have just read the long term effects of this by Dr Seema in Bangalore and am wondering whether to continue at all with the third shot and whether there is anything that can reverse the possible impacts early on?Just had typhoid booster.

Thanks [email protected]

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 4 years ago.
Hi, welcome to justanswer , there is no need to be over worried or over concerned about this .

When you are receiving a vaccine , you are not taking the active microorganism that produces rabies . What your doctor is injecting is not a pathogenic portion ( so it can not produce any rabies symptoms ) , he is only injecting an attenuated virus ( which does not have the ability of producing the disease , but stimulates your immune system to produce antibodies that will protect you against the active rabies virus if you get in contact with it in the near future ) .

The vaccine should not be used only if the patient has a severe weakened immune system ( that does not have the ability of combating an infection) . But if the person is healthy and will travel to an area where there are wild animals and specially where healthcare services are not so effective , you want that person to be protected in case they are bitten , so they do not develop the disease which is really dangerous.

So you can continue with your prophylaxis vaccination shot .

If you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work. A bonus will always be sincerely appreciated. I do not get credit for my work until you click the green accept button.

If you have any additional questions or any doubts you want to ask me, I will be here to help you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I was unable to give a longer explanation due to the inability of system to take more words!

I was referring to the long term effects (10-20 yrs) that have been shown in some people, according to Dr Seema in Bangalore, to develop forms of anxiety , fear of water and fear of leaving the house.

In all cases of anxiety studied, she found that a Rabies vaccine had been given after they had been bitten by animal.

Wondering whether you might have read much about this.

Thank you. Sonya

These are isolated studies , there is not real evidence or scientific evidence that rabies vaccine produce these long term side effects .

To have scientific evidence, multiple studies should be performed and corroborated by multiple health professionals and scientists , not by one specific professional .

What could happen and it is possible after being vaccinated is that the immune system reacts irregularly to the vaccine administration , producing tissue inflammation or swelling and affecting the nervous cells , producing long term effects like seizures , headaches , behaviour or personality changes , irritability or anxiety . This is basically product of the immune system function alteration, not the vaccine itself and this is really uncommon.

Rabies is a deadly infection , as consequence , the benefits of having the vaccine outweigh any potential risks .

If you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work. A bonus will always be sincerely XXXXX XXXXX do not get credit for my work until you click the green accept button.