Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

I have had uti like symptoms for 2 weeks and have had two urine

Customer Question

I have had uti like symptoms for 2 weeks and have had two urine cultures come back negative for infection.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Singh :

Dr. Singh :

What are your exact symptoms?

Customer :

well, let me start off by saying two days prior to this problem, I took an hour long spin class on a bike that was too high. My symptoms are the following: burning after urination (lasts about 20 minutes after). On other days I have frequent need to urinate, but only a small amount comes out. I also have mild pain in my left ovary region and spasm like sensations in my lower region where my uterus is).

Dr. Singh :

what is your age?

Dr. Singh :

have you taken any antibiotics?

Customer :

33

Customer :

I was put on macrobid for two days when waiting for the first culture to come back. they found only white blood cells in the second culture.

Dr. Singh :

Was the first culture before antibiotics

Customer :

yes

Dr. Singh :

Ok, the second culture was negative secondary to the antibiotics. However, the fact that the first urine culture was negative for bacteria without antibiotics means you do not have a true UTI. Likely causes of UTI symptoms without a positive culture are endometriosis, interstitial cystitis and should be further evaluated by your doctor with ultrasound and pelvic exam.

Customer :

okay, is IC a chronic condition where I will feel like this forever?

Dr. Singh :

yes it is a chronic condition. Some people respond positively to treatment, while for others treatment can be complicated

Customer :

okay . thank you.

Dr. Singh :

You are welcome. If no further questions please click accept.

Dr. Singh :

Regards