Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have bronchiectasis and subclinical hyperthyroidism, for

I have bronchiectasis and subclinical hyperthyroidism, for which i take bugleweed and lemon balm. A recent respiratory infection has not cleared up after a 14day course of erythromycin. I also have rhinitis. I would like to try using colloidal silver through a nebulizer as I am coughing a lot and not feeling well. How can i find a naturopath in downtown Toronto who is experienced in this. i have been searching the internet. I am 75 years old and weigh ~115lbs. Would this be a safe therapy for me?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Was a chest x-ray and x-ray of sinus done?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, I have not seen a physician since I developed the infection as I was quite ill and in bed with a virus which has left me very weak. Erythromycin was prescribed over the phone by my family physician, based on a note sent to her last year by my respirologist, telling her to prescribe Erythromycin if I developed another respiratory infection. Due to the risk of pneomonia with bronchiectasis, she started me on Erythromycin as soon as I called. (I've never had pneumonia). I had taken Clarythromycin for infections over several years, then it stopped working for me. A subsequent sputum specimen tested positive for haemophilus influenzae bacteria. I was prescribed Avelox which had such severe side effects that I stopped it after one pill - this was a Saturday morning and the respiratory clinic was closed. I had been told by a physician in the past that stopping an antibiotic after taking only one pill does not lead to antibiotic resistance.
The one Avelox cured my respiratory infection, cleared up my sinorhinitis (?) and I have not had a respiratory infection since taking it 18months ago. I do not have any pain or discomfort in my sinuses and produce only clear fluid from my nose and any postnasal drip I am able to clear from my throat. When I begin to try to cough up mucus from my lungs, it is clear like the fluid from my throat, then I cough up yellow and then greenish mucus, but I have to work hard to cough this up! The respirologist told me by phone on Friday to wait a week, then submit a sputum sample that will take 2-3 days to analyze. I have had occasional allergic rhinitis in the past. Recent colds have cleared up normally, with no yellow or green mucus coming from my lungs.
Hello and welcome,

Colloidal silver therapy would not be safe for you; with your medical history and recent infection. Ideally a throat and phlegm / sputum culture with a chest x-ray should be performed, for the diagnosis. Following would be the treatment protocol for rhinitis / rhinosinusitis, meanwhile;

1) Nasal steroid; decrease inflammation and open up obstruction.

2) Oral decongestants such as pseudoephedrine are often helpful.

3) Topical decongestant for short duration.

4) Antihistamines

5) Steam vaporizer

6) Eucalyptus oil may help

7) Nasal saline irrigation

8) Vitamin C

9) Antibiotics; only if culture is positive.

For treating it naturally; steam inhalation, nasal saline water (salt water) irrigation (can be done by Neti-pot), Vitamin C, Eucalyptus oil inhalation can be done. Following can increase the body immunity so help in overcoming the infection;

1) Omega 3; Fish oil capsule and flaxseed oil capsule.

2) Ginkgo Biloba

3) Zinc 30 mg.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun