Andy PhD DABT
Andy PhD DABT, Toxicologist
Experience:  Board certified with 17 years in research or consulting
58853142

If you add oxygen to fluoride and chlorine free water can you

If you add oxygen to fluoride and chlorine free water can you drink that and normal tap water which could contain fluoride and chlorine during the same day?
Category: Health
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes i am still waiting on a answer.
.

Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly

Expert:  Andy PhD DABT replied 2 years ago.
Can you explain better what you mean by "add oxygen to fluoride"? Do you just mean add oxygen gas to fluoridated, non-chlorinated water?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He adds drops of super oxy and peppermint oil into his fluoride and chlorine free water, but if he drinks regular tap water the same day that has oxygeb, flouride and chlorine will it do any harm
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He aslo adds 2 drops of peppermint oil to a 500ml botter, is peppermint oil ok to consume or should a peppermint essence be used?
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
I have gone to the website of the makers of super oxy and looked at their product. The makers do not clearly say what is in this product beyond 5% oxygen, 5% ozone stabilized in mineral salts. Chemically this does not make sense, I don't know really what is in this, though it sounds like basically salty water. Since the directions state to take only a teaspoon a few times a day and it seems to be just salty water then there is no reason to think that drinking it with tap water would cause any problem, even if you put the super oxy in tap water. I have asked the manufacturers to tell me exactly what is in their product, but will probably not hear back from them until tomorrow if at all. Though I don't think there is anything unsafe with taking super oxy, I have to tell you that this product does not work, it does not increase the amount of oxygen in your body.

This is an "alternative medicine" product claiming to rid the body of bacteria by increasing the amount of oxygen in the body. Only a small amount of oxygen will dissolve in water, this is why our bodies need hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is inside red blood cells and will bind to the small amount of oxygen that is dissolved in the water portion of blood. As it pulls the oxygen out of the water portion of blood more oxygen can dissolve into the water of blood through the lungs, and so oxygen is carried in our bodies on hemoglobin, not dissolved in water. If we had no hemoglobin, we would die because the small amount of oxygen in the water portion of our blood would not be enough to keep us alive.

If you have ever had a fish tank you can see this in action. In a fish tank there is an aerator, which pumps air into the bottom of the water to get oxygen into the water. If you look at the aerator, 99% of the air that is pumped into the water at the bottom of the tank will bubble up to the surface and escape back into the air, thus, very little is actually dissolving into the tank water. If a significant amount were dissolving into the water, then noticeably less air would come out the top than goes in at the bottom.

So that means that super oxy actually has very little oxygen in it to start with. Then you are to take only a teaspoon at a time or about 50 drops, and this is taken a few times a day. The amount of oxygen that you would be taking in is very small, an insignificant amount.

Now our bodies take in oxygen by breathing it in. The very thin layer of tissue in the lung allow oxygen to dissolve into the water portion of the blood where it immediately moves to red blood cells and binds hemoglobin. Super Oxy is taken by mouth, which means it will get absorbed through the intestine. The intestine is very thick compared to the tissue of the lung and so what little amount of oxygen that is in super oxy will not get into the blood, but again there is only a non-significant amount in there to start with.

I am sorry to say this product does not work, it will not do what it claims to do, it will not increase the amount of oxygen in your body at all. Much more oxygen gets in our bodies from simply taking in a single breath then will get in from super oxy.

Some studies have suggested peppermint oil can help irritable bowel syndrome, but they are not conclusive. When I looked to buy peppermint essence it said it was just peppermint oil. So I don't think there is a difference between peppermint oil and peppermint essence, they are just two names for the same thing.

So you are safe to take peppermint oil/essence and super oxy, however super oxy will not do what it's makers claim it will do.

Take care,
Andy PhD DABT, Toxicologist
Experience: Board certified with 17 years in research or consulting
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Perfect thanks.
Glad I could help.

Take care,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Question: you say super oxy does not work is that from experience from using it or your professional advice?
I have not used super oxy. This is based on scientific fact of how oxygen works in the body. Way more oxygen gets into your body by breathing then could ever get in by drinking it. When people bleed heavily and require an intravenous infusion they can get two types of things, an infusion of a mostly water based solution, like lactated ringers, which is just a special kind of salt water with a few other chemicals added. This can be given when the person loses a moderate amount of blood, but still has most of their red blood cells, which carry hemoglobin, which binds to oxygen. However, if the person loses lots of blood, then they run low on red blood cells and need to get a blood transfusion to replace the lost red blood cells. If the person does not get the blood transfusion or loses to many red blood cells, they die because their body can't get enough oxygen to their tissues. It is the hemoglobin that is critical for our tissues to get enough oxygen, because very little oxygen will dissolve in water. Oxygen is very much attracted to hemoglobin and will come out of the water to bind to it. The tiny amount of oxygen that is in the water portion of our blood is just not enough to sustain life. So by dissolving oxygen in water and drinking the water, you are adding a negligible amount of oxygen to your body. You will get way more just by breathing.

Now as to the concept behind now this works, if it did deliver extra oxygen to your body. The idea behind it is that your body is full of anaerobic bacteria and toxins and that you need to give your body more oxygen in order to kill the bacteria and remove the toxins. So first about the bacteria, the reality is that the inside of your body, especially your blood is sterile, that is there are no bacteria in it. If there was you would be sick and likely have a fever, if there was a lot of bacteria in your blood you would be in the hospital and would be very sick. Our bodies are sterile because we have an immune system that go all throughout our bodies and kills bacteria and viruses. It does a pretty good job considering the world is full of bacteria. The fact that most people only get sick a few times a year is testimony to how well our immune systems work most of the time. So we really don't need extra oxygen to kill bacteria, our bodies do a good job at it without extra oxygen.

Now about the toxins. Our bodies do produce toxic chemicals during our normal everyday activities, however they also have adapted to handling this and metabolize these chemicals to chemicals that can easily leave the body and are less toxic. They then leave the body in urine or feces. Our bodies do a good job in removing these toxic chemicals and so these toxic chemicals do not build up in our bodies and we don't need to take detoxifiers to help our bodies remove them. If our bodies did not have a way to detoxify toxic chemicals that our bodies make, then we would die off. Most detoxifiers do nothing for your body. The only ones that really work, are some types of chelators that bind and remove heavy metals, but this is only needed if you are exposed to heavy metals, which usually only occurs if you work in a metal working industry, or have well water that has high metal levels.

Now you have to realize that if super oxy did increase the amount of oxygen in our bodies that it would not necessarily be good for us. Oxygen is actually an oxidizer, similar to bleach. You can see this in that iron will rust if exposed to air. That is because the oxygen in the air oxidizes the iron which produces rust. Now most people don't like oxidizers and like to get as many antioxidants as possible to counter oxidizers, which they can do by eating lots of fruit and vegetables. Extra oxygen is also not good for our bodies, just like oxidizing iron, it also can oxidize our bodies. You can see this in that premature babies used to be given 100% oxygen because their lungs are not yet fully developed and so don't work as well at getting oxygen into the blood as full term babies. The problem is that the babies given 100% oxygen would develop cataracts. This was because the oxygen was oxidizing the cornea of their eyes, as would bleach if you stuck it in your eye. So to much oxygen is clearly bad for you. A happy medium level is what is needed and what our bodies have adapted to - to little is bad, to much is bad.

So I have said a lot, but why super oxy doesn't work all comes down to one simple fact - very little oxygen will dissolve into water. Even if their theory about how it works is correct, you just don't get anymore oxygen into your body.

The best advise I can say about staying healthy is to eat most of your calories from fruits and vegetables and get at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise three times a week. Spending money on herbals or detoxifiers will not make you healthier.

I hope this answers your question.

Take care,
Sorry this website is a little technical, but it explains what I am talking about (http://www.ccmtutorials.com/rs/oxygen/page03.htm). Basically it says that if your blood was just water, it would only be able to carry about 1.5% of the amount of oxygen that can be carried by real blood. The 98.5% difference is because of hemoglobin. So drinking water with oxygen dissolved in it, will add very little oxygen to your body as it will only be able to add 1.5% of what is already there from just breathing.

Here is also a link for more information on oxygen toxicity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_toxicity).

Take care,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
perfect thanks