CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

My father has not had teeth for many years. He is 70 years

My father has not had teeth for many years. He is 70 years old. He does actually have three teeth, but they are damaged and need to be removed. He has lots of health issues and teeth are a must for him or liquid diet may be needed. Are dentures and option? How about implants-4 upper and 4 lower? My father has told me his gums have shrunk, is this true. What would be options for someone like my father. I am on a limited income, but I would like to do this for my dad. Any ideas?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
HI and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am happy to help you. In consideration of your father's shrinking gums, and the fact that he is 70 years old, and has been missing many teeth, it is possible that he may not have sufficient bone for implants. Implants are considerably more expensive than dentures. Dentures may be the most effective and inexpensive way to provide him with functionality. Dentures can range widely in price, anywhere from $500 to $1500 depending upon the composition and point of sale. Please consult with his Dentist, who will be able to examine him and recommend the best and most affordable course of action. I hope this information helps you, please let me know if I can help you further:-)