CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

Hi Dear,

Hi Dear,

I live in Canada and I was in a car accident back in 7 september 2011. Since the accident I am in alot of pain. I was diagnosed with PTSD and my family doctor refered me to a psychiatrist for PTSD I will see my psychiatrist on March 13 2010 now for the past 4 weeks I feel sad and unhappy mostly everyday, I lost interest in activities I used to enjoy, my sleep is completely lost, concentration problems, severe headeach, loe energy sometime I feel life is not worth it. Because of this accident there has been too money loses my master degree I was suppose to get married it is been called off. My question is when I go to my psychiatrist should I tell him about my feeling and thoughts, or tell him next time for another appoinment as PTSD is different than Depression. What he will ask on my day of appointment as a psychiatrist? Can I ask him to prescribe anti depressent and for anixiety. I am very confused, I forget things alot. I get upset very easily to the point I yell at my family and or throw something. I really appreciate your help.

Thank you,
S
Category: Health
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 2 years ago.
Hello
Tell your psychiatrist everything now.
He/she can not treat correctly without that information
Do not wait at all.
You might even need a referral for therapy, and you will not get that if you wait.
good luck

Let me know if you have further questions, details or need clarification, just use reply.......

Please Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Please assign a psychiatrist for my question. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Answer quality and Inaccurate answer still waiting for my answer kindly answer my question from a phsyciatrist.

Thank you,
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and I am happy to help you today. I see your question is waiting, and I very much want to help you,if you would prefer, I can opt out and you can continue to wait for a Psychiatrist, just let me know. I would like to ask you.....did you have a head injury from this accident?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Camille,

Yes, I was unconsciousness for 5 minutes and they diagones me with Post concussion syndrome I guess they call it mild TBI. MRI came normal but my family doctor said MRI can not see how the brain physically function.

Thank you,

S

Expert:  CamilleRN replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for this information. Lots of times with head injuries it can take a long time for all the swelling to go away, that plus the experience itself, which is so traumatizing can leave you feeling less than normal while this is improving a bit each day. All of the things you are experiencing can be related to this accident... and one can make the other worse.. for example, untreated PTST can lead to the depression you are feeling... to anxiety..continuing the cycle of lack of sleep... to memory loss....crankiness..... etc. When the PTST is addressed effectively, the depression is addressed affectively, you are going to feel MUCH better. In the mean time... it's very important that you keep your body in good nutritional health by eating balanced meals, drinking plenty of water ( at least 8 glasses per day), try to set up a routine so you can get some quality sleep, day or night, if you are not working it really doesn't matter. If you prefer to sleep during the day, put coverings on your window and do so. I would surely ask the Doctor to try you on an antidepressant.. they usually take about two weeks to begin to make a difference, so don't get discouraged if you don't feel better right away. I hope I have helped you, please let me know If I can help you further, ok?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Carmille,

So when I see my psychiatrist for PTSD can I address my depression symptoms with him how I feel? I mean I am going to see him for PTSD Can I also tell him I am sad for the past few weeks and my mood swings? Lost Interest in activity I used to enjoy and low energy, headeach and sleep disturbance. Thank you,

Thank you,

S

Expert:  CamilleRN replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Yes, please do. For your first session, you will most likely be given papers to fill out, amongst them will be a paper asking you about what you are feeling.. this is a good place to write down your over all issues, such as what you have told me. When you see the Psychiatrist he will take a history from you, and will ask you what issues you are having. You won't have a lot of therapy the first day as this appointment is used to plan your course of therapy. During this time do tell him that you would like to be put on a trial of an antidepressant. It's very possible that within a few weeks you will begin to feel better, which will help you to sleep better and improve energy as well. Please Let me know if I can help further:-)
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: Experience: 30 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.