Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

How long does it take esophagitis to heal from reflux? Ive

How long does it take esophagitis to heal from reflux? I've been on Prilosec OTC twice a day for 2 days now and, while my symptoms have improved, they have not completely gone away. Bear in mind I have also changed my diet choices and when I eat in the past several days as well to account for this new condition.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Customer:

I understand.

mysticdoc :

The complete healing may take 2 to 4 weeks.

mysticdoc :

Sometimes it may take longer.

mysticdoc :

But since your symptoms are improving, you can expect further improvement within next 2 weeks.

mysticdoc :

You should avoid caffeine, hot and spicy food, fired food.

mysticdoc :

Avoid smoking.

mysticdoc :

These measures will be helpful.

Customer:

What is the prognosis though and rate of success with Prilosec OTC 2X day though? I'm entertaining horrible thoughts about GERD surgery and the anxiety is keeping me from getting sound sleep.

mysticdoc :

the prognosis very good.

mysticdoc :

Over 90% recovery within 2 to 4 weeks

Customer:

Is one cup of Green Tea OK in the morning? I've cut out coffee, don't smoke and don't eat a meal after 8 o'clock.

mysticdoc :

yes this is good

mysticdoc :

you are doing right things.

mysticdoc :

Please do not worry.

mysticdoc :

You will recover well.

Customer:

The reason this is causing so much anxiety is that in the last couple of days this sensation produce a need to gag and vomit- so it's been detrimental psychologically.

mysticdoc :

yes understandable.

mysticdoc :

But these symptoms will not occur as times goes by

Customer:

And I have gagged and vomited as a result [though not in the last 2 days]. My stomach still feels not wonderful, I'm supplementing Prilosec with anti-gas/acid chewables and Maalox tables just to hedge my bet. This has led to mild, though not complete, constipation [or, maybe not, since I'm just not eating as much as I used to].

mysticdoc :

also eat lot of dietary fibers.

mysticdoc :

you can take methycellulose ( citrucel) 1-2 tablespoon daily with plenty of fluids

mysticdoc :

this will help with constipation.

Customer:

Can I snack after 8 o'clock? Up until say, 10PM?

mysticdoc :

depends on what you are snacking with.

mysticdoc :

whole grain granola bar or salad ok.

mysticdoc :

avoid sweets, cakes, cookies etc.

Customer:

Granola bars, pieces of white bread. White grape juice.

mysticdoc :

ok that is fine

mysticdoc :

grape juice can be avoided--as it can cause acidity

Customer:

Is there anything you can recommend to help rid my throat of the sensation?

Customer:

So, aside from water, what would be ok? My research has ruled out dairy [even though I drink 1%], I love Cran-Rasp juice but that's a no-go, no white grape juice and I don't keep soda in the house.

mysticdoc :

water is the best

mysticdoc :

you can drink green tea or chamomile tea ( caffeine free).

mysticdoc :

The throat sensation will go away.

Customer:

I was afraid you'd say that. And green tea, herbal teas and chamomile are fine?

mysticdoc :

you can try lidocaine swich and swallow but this requires prescription.

mysticdoc :

yes correct

Customer:

I tried a menthol throat lozenge last night and that exacerbated the problem? Is menthol a throat irritant?

mysticdoc :

it should not be.

mysticdoc :

but some individual may not tolerate menthol well.

Customer:

I usually deal with lozenges well. So I'd have to approach my Doctor about lidocaine?

mysticdoc :

yes correct

mysticdoc :

you can try peppermint lozenges.

Customer:

I read that peppermint was a GERD irritant. Or am I mixing up my mints?

mysticdoc :

peppermint should be fine,but if you feel irritated, then you have no other choice.

Customer:

Are dried cranberries ok? I found a roasted chicken salad in a nearby restaurant that's been a good go-to meal in the past few days but I've been eating around them not knowing what they'd do.

mysticdoc :

you can have dried cranberries in small amounts.

Customer:

Also, when I feel gurgling in my throat- is that acid reflux? Because when I've been feeling that I've taken the chews or the Maalox chewables.

mysticdoc :

this can be from saliva accumulation also.

mysticdoc :

acid reflux may also cause that

Customer:

I've had that for years but didn't think much of it, it was mild discomfort and never resulted in anything serious. In the few times it's been really bad and accompanied by a sour stomach I drank a lot of water. I have the feeling this lax attitude brought me to where I am today. Also, in the past year I've woken up out of sound sleep I'd say about 6-8 times with acid coming up my throat. If I am more careful about my diet and when I eat and medicate with anti-acid meds when needed can I prevent esophagitis in the future or am I looking at the rest of my life with Prilosec and/or Nexium?

mysticdoc :

current treatment will improve your situation.

mysticdoc :

nexium is not required now.

mysticdoc :

stay on prilosec.

Customer:

Saliva accumulation? Is that a symptom of esophagitis? Because I can definitely report that as a symptom- especially when I go on a run.

mysticdoc :

yes it can be.

mysticdoc :

excessive salivation can cause that.

Customer:

Is Nexium the next protocol [although condition has responded to Prilosec]?

mysticdoc :

and of course acid reflux is the likely contributing cause

mysticdoc :

If prilosec fails, then nexium may be considered.

Customer:

So acid reflux leads to excessive salivation? Sorry, I'm being neurotic here but I am going to Mexico the first week of March to meet my girlfriend's parents for the first time and.....this really is a fly in the ointment. I will not nearly be firing on all cylinders.

mysticdoc :

yes but this is not concerning.

mysticdoc :

you will see improvement over time

Customer:

Though, that's more of a question for a psychiatrist...

mysticdoc :

avoid stress, that also affects acid reflux

Customer:

So does excessive salivation mean that acid reflux is currently happening? I'm try to get an idea on what my food triggers are and am keeping a journal of good and bad foods.

Customer:

Or is the excessive salivation mean that I have esophagitis but it is not currently being exacerbated by the reflux?

mysticdoc :

salivation is likely due to the acid reflux

mysticdoc :

acid can stimulate the saliva production.

Customer:

Also, this just happened [and come to think of it, it's been happening for years]- I just had a minor quasi-hiccough. It's not exactly a hiccough, it's just air needing to escape to my mouth and doing so involuntarily [and it's not a burp].

mysticdoc :

this is due to the air swallowing --which is normal

Customer:

Are there any drawbacks to taking 3 prilosec per day? My doc said no, but it won't help you either.

Customer:

Air swallowing? How is that different from breathing?

mysticdoc :

you should not take more than 40 mg for now.

mysticdoc :

breathing is related to lungs

mysticdoc :

air swallowing in stomach

Customer:

Why am I air swallowing in stomach?

mysticdoc :

why are you eating food?

mysticdoc :

this should answer your question.

Customer:

I'm not. I ate about 90 minutes ago.

Customer:

My roasted chicken salad.

mysticdoc :

air swallowing occurs due to the mouth movement--and this is normal.

mysticdoc :

this is wwhat si burping--gas from stomach

mysticdoc :

please do not worry too much

Customer:

Oh, ok. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't yet ANOTHER digestive issue that I didn't deal with.

mysticdoc :

Please click ACCEPT before any further conversation. Thank you,

Customer:

So, just to sum up: there's about a 90% chance this esophagitis will be resolved in 2 weeks on Prilosec OTC twice a day. If the 10% comes into affect the next step would be Nexium? And, that has a very high success rate?

mysticdoc :

in 10% the treatment is continued for 6 to 8 weeks.

mysticdoc :

and reevaluation should be done by a gastroenterologist.

mysticdoc :

In that case, nexium can be started.

Customer:

Is Nexium that much better than Prilosec?

mysticdoc :

yes

Customer:

Don't worry. Almost done here. You've been a really big help.

mysticdoc :

there are others as well-- Aciphex, Dexilant etc.

Customer:

Alright, well the thought of getting scoped and possible surgery is bothersome but, odds are, it won't even come into play.

Customer:

Is this a situation that needs to constantly be medicated or will diet and lifestyle changes forestall esophagitis from happening again?

mysticdoc :

diet and lifestyle change will help the most from recurring.

Customer:

Will help most people? Bear in mind I'm 32 yo male, fairly active, don't drink much [though I do drink], don't smoke [except on rare occasions when drinking but that will stop], eat mostly healthy [just not healthy enough, I guess]. I'm slightly overweight by BMI chart standards- 5'11, 205 lbs.

mysticdoc :

you should be fine

mysticdoc :

nothing is 100% in,life

Customer:

Thanks for your help. How do I end this?

mysticdoc :

Please click the Green ACCEPT button.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes

Customer:

Well, I appreciate your legal disclaimer at the end!

mysticdoc :

welcome

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD