CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

I recently ended a relationship with a female who after the

Customer Question

I recently ended a relationship with a female who after the fact I found out wasn't the greatest person in the world. I have been screened for all stds all neg. we had unprotected sex a lot over coarse of a month and a half. One morning I accidentally used her toothbrush thinking it was mine. This has me concerned over hep c. At 6 weeks after our last sexual encounter and 9 weeks post toothbrush incident I started having a slight discomfort in my lower right abdomen area. Sometimes it's below the ribs sometimes jus under bottom ribs. The discomfort comes and goes and seems like the more I think about it the more I feel it. It sometimes feels like a cramping feeling. At around 9.5 to 10 weeks post toothbrush incident I had a neg antibody test for hcv. This was little over 7 weeks after last sexual encounter. Now around 12 weeks after the incident I still get the discomfort that comes and goes and now have had yellowish diarrhea 2 times. Had another after that that was light brown. I get diarrhea a lot since having my Gaul bladder removed in feb. I had a cat scan done and everything was normal. My ? Is could this be hep c? Does acute hep c abdominal pain come an go or steady? When do most people show + when acquiring hep c? Please help I am a nervous wreck and very upset thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.

CamilleRN :

Hi and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and I am happy to help you today. I would highly doubt Hep C as your antibodies were negative. It sounds more like anxiety to me, honestly. With Hep C your stool isn't yellow or light brown it's almost white.. an absolutely abnormal color that you would recognize as very unusual, right away. The lack of a gallbladder, when eating fatty foods can cause the diarrhea as well as the lighter color stool. As far as the pain.....

CamilleRN :

the lower right abdomen pain can be due to something called Irritable Bowel Syndrome....IBS is a term given to A FUNCTIONAL BOWEL DISORDER THAT CAUSES ALTERNATING DIARRHEA AND CONSTIPATION, (some people only have the diarrhea... while others have constipation)....ABDOMINAL PAIN AND BLOATING. a consistent bowel regimen will help you, if this is the case. .... my recommendation is for now, until this passes, eat bland food.. not raw vegetables.. but things like . chicken noodle soup.... saltine crackers and at least 8 glasses of water per day. Purchase Bio- K, which is an excellent probiotic that will not only help with regularity but also improve your immune system. Once this clears... purchase Benefiber..( Over the counter) and take it per package directions. This combined with Bio K will promote regular, productive, well formed, easy to pass stools.

CamilleRN :

Also...the liver is in the upper right quadrant... and the pain would be steady.

CamilleRN :

It sounds like you are over worrying, which is understandable... but I do hope this information gives you peace of mind:-)

Customer: Thanks for your reply...when do most people show + for hep c with antibody tests? All I could find is up to 6 months online. Thanks for your help.
Customer: ??
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
i am sorry for the wait, hepatitis antibodies will show up within 3-4 weeks after exposure.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My discomfot is kinda mid abdomen on the right and sometimes lower below ribs. And sometimes feels like its behind the bottom 2 ribs. Does this change anything? Also with IBS does the pain show in same spot or will it change?
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
With IBS the pain can shift locations often. Rather than to make yourself sick with worry, please try the Bio-K and Benefiber... I really think this will help you a lot. IF this continues to bother you , please let your Doctor examine you, for your peace of mind.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank last ? And I will let you go as I'm sure you are it possible my mind is playing tricks on me being that I've been stressed out beyond belief over last 3 months and now stressing over this? And I know they at theoretically they say u can get hcv from toothbrush but have you heard of any documented cases in which this happend? Thanks again and have a good night.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
You can ask me anything you want... I understand your worry, I really do... but I also want to say that yes, you can get so stressed out with worry that your judgment can become a bit off. This happens to a lot of people because as people, knowing what we know about such diseases, we are afraid of things like Hep-C. But don't allow this to get the better of you.

As far as the tooth brush, per

Sharing of razors and toothbrushes

• Very low risk
  • It is very rare for hep C to be transmitted through household interactions.

Remember Hep C is a blood to blood transmission. She would have to have bleeding gums and so would you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok thanks so much I think I asked all I have on my mind. God bless.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. You are very welcome:-) Come back anytime.