Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I have a question that pertained to the above question regarding

Customer Question

I have a question that pertained to the above question regarding the small cyst like lump on the bottom of my husband's foot. He went to a podiartrist today who couldn't really give him an answer by just looking at it. He said today it was soft to the touch. The spot or lump has got much bigger and it is red. He has only had this in the past 10 days or so. It is painful and the doc said that there was some pus in it.

Could this be a malignant tumor that came on so fast or a carbuncle or a ganglion cyst? He was in a severe car accident on December 31st and we wondered if some glass residue could have got in his foot and caused this.

What would you recommed treating it with, topically or what ever else you think?

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--a malignant lesion doesn't act like this. Considering the description you give, there's an infection and pus collection, and it could be caused by a foreign body that's just now announcing itself. Not a gangion cyst either. If there's pus it needs to drain and he can try soaking in Epsom salts but if it doesn't drain on its own, it will need lancing by a doctor.