Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.

I have a plugged milk duct that my midwife gave me dicloxacillin

I have a plugged milk duct that my midwife gave me dicloxacillin 500mg 4 times a day. Yesterday after taking the first dose my arm started to itch. As the day progressed I became more itchy and looked slightly sunburned on my legs, feet, arms and hands. No hives, respiratory issues or anything. I decided to stop taking the pills after the 3rd dose and this morning am 90% better. Problem is I am not sure if it was the Meds or a reaction to an aerosol cleaning product I used Friday. My daughter had a similar but milder reaction on Friday hours after using the same product. I am just worried to take or not take the Meds again. If the response to the Meds would again only be the skin itching I would like to try it again and see if I react again. However, I am concerned there could be a more severe reaction the second time.
Category: Health
Expert:  Charogat replied 4 years ago.

Charogat :

Charogat :

Hi, and thank you for coming to with your question.

Charogat :

Being that you had a suspected allergic reaction you should absolutely NOT take it again until you find out for sure if you are allergic or not.

Charogat :

Even though it looks like chances are that you are not - the risk is not worth taking the chance.

Charogat :

If the clogged milk duct has caused mastitis then you can speak to your ob/gyn to find out what medication you should use instead right now.

Charogat :

Also, I am assuming that the midwife told you that the best treatment is nursing (expressing milk) and warm compresses?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have any symptoms of mastitis. It is not even painful. All home treatments have done nothing and I have had it for around 3 months now. We are thinking it is a galecocele (sp?) but thought we would see if antibiotic would help incase it is an infection.
Expert:  Charogat replied 4 years ago.
It doesn't really sound like something that should be treated with antibiotics at all in that case.
If it is a glactocele then antibiotics won't do anything, and the fact that you are showing no other signs of infection really make antibiotics a rather poor choice.
That also strengthens my answer in telling you that when someone has a possible allergy, 'testing' it by continuing to use the possible allergen in an uncontrolled environment can be very dangerous.

G-d Bless
Please ignore the automated request for payment that appears below, as you have already paid.

If you have any follow-up questions for me please feel free to ask them.

If you are satisfied with the doctor's answer please click 'accept' so that she can be paid. BONUSES and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are not expected, but are always appreciated.