Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I feel like theres a balloon in my ribcage - just feels as

I feel like there's a balloon in my ribcage - just feels as if something is in there - a feeling of pressure that increases until I violently vomit. I have had this on several occasions. It comes and goes The back pain and nausea lasts for a few days after .
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
How long has this been going on? Any swallowing or heartburn problems? Is this just pressure or is there chest pain?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is the third episode in a few months. I assumed it was food poisioning or a bug last time. No swallowing our heartburn issues.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
You vomit just the one time? And no chest pain?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Usually vomit several times depending what's in my stomach. Pain increases as pressure increases but is closer to my diaphragm and extends through to my back. Not really in my chest. Feels like I'm going to explode. Then I start vomiting and it starts easing.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Well, this could be peptic ulcer disease, a hiatal hernia, or intermittent irritable bowel syndrome. You need upper endoscopy to see what the exact cause is. There is also the possibility that you have cyclic vomiting syndrome,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is cyclic vomiting syndrome?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago. is a link to that. As you will see, your age makes this unlikely, but I needed to include it in the differential. You'll also see that gall bladder disease and pancreatitis are also listed, but your symptoms don't exactly match the classic picture for those.