DR MED MD
DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD
8742629

I just received my lab results from my physical. The urinalysis

I just received my lab results from my physical. The urinalysis showed elevated protein, and the doctor had me come back in for a 24 hour specimin. In addition I have abnormalresults for mucus, squam EPI cells and Hyaline cast. What does all of that mean? I also had an ultrasound of the kidney and bladder yesterday. My symptoms have been bubbly urine, and some pain in the left back that sometimes radiates around to the front under the ribs. This has been going on for about a month.
Category: Health
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 5 years ago.
What was the result of ultrasound?

Any history of such symptoms in past?

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Don't have the results yet. No history of this in the past.
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 5 years ago.
These results can be due to disease effecting kidney i.e glomerulonephritis. It is a type of kidney disease in which the part of your kidneys that helps filter waste and fluids from the blood is damaged. Hyaline casts are the most frequently occurring casts in urine and can be seen normally in urine.The presence of a few hyaline casts is normal. You need to wait for ultrasound and give 24 hour sample for determination of 24 hour urinary protein.Normal total protein excretion does not usually exceed 150 mg/24 hours or 10 mg/100 ml in any single specimen. More than 150 mg/day is defined as proteinuria. Biopsy is required to confirm the disease if suspected. Do not worry just wait for complete results and consult your doctor. He can refer you to a nephrologist if required.

For details please visit:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000484.htm

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hyaline casts are 10-14 instead of 0-2
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 5 years ago.
High hyaline casts indicate renal disease.

Give your 24 hour sample and wait for report to come.

No need to panic at this stage.

Thanks