Valarie
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

At one time, children were innoculated against TB, when starting

At one time, children were innoculated against TB, when starting at primary school. When did this practice end, please?

I was born in 1946 and my son in 1971. I am trying to determine whether either or both of us should be vaccinated before visiting rural India.

Thanks,

David Bruce
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

Interesting question. The BCG vaccine can still be given but it is not 100% effective in protecting against TB.

This is the CDC link for traveler's advisories to India.

And here is a link on the BCG vaccine and who should receive it.

So it is not clear that you and your son should receive the vaccine. It seems the key would be direct exposure to TB patients in close quarters.... in other words, if you are going to be staying with people who HAVE active TB then answer is probably 'yes', you should get the vaccine.

But as far as travel by itself, if you are staying in your own room or hotel or house then you probably do not need it.

I am standing by if you have further questions. Have a great trip.

Best

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I thank you for your reply. I do not think it gets me much closer to a decision.

I understand that about 30% of the Indian population has TB but only 1% is virulent. Clearly I would not intentionally be in close contact to those likely to pass on the infection but this may happen unintentionally.

I believe I may have had a vaccination against TB at school, but as this was 60 years ago and I would have been 4 or 5 at the time, am unsure. If this was the STANDARD PRACTICE in the U.K., further vaccination would be unnecessary. I do not recall any of my children been given such vaccinations. Such historic information should be available today for assessment of the "at risk" group, in case of a future UK epidemic. I realise that you cannot know of our own personal histories, but I am only asking the approx. dates when vaccination was standard UK practice. I could not find these data on-line.

Expert:  Valarie replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer with your question, and welcome.

The routine vaccination with BCG in schools (adolescents at age 13)in the UK was ended in the autumn of 2005. So the approximate dates that vaccination was a standard practice would be 1953 to 2005.

Keep in mind that the BCG vaccine is considered to be about 60% to 80% effective, and may only have a duration of effectiveness of about 15 years.
Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management