DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD

For the past week or two when I am falling asleep I startle

For the past week or two when I am falling asleep I startle awake. It feels like I have stopped breathing. It seems to happen just as I am falling asleep. Is this anxiety or could I actually be not breathing?
Do you have any day sleepiness or tiredness during day?

Are you getting enough sleep? Do you think there is lack of proper sleep?

Any history of infection or fever in recent part?

Are you under any kind of stress?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am always very tired throughout the day. I usually nap for 2-4hours during the day. I do not have a normal sleep pattern and find I cannot sleep at night. I get tired around 4-6am and sleep until noon usually.

No illness or fever recently or anything unusual for me. Just a history of autonomic dysfunction but this sleep issue has not been an issue in the past.

I have not been under any stress lately.
Do you suffer any morning headaches , dry mouth or sore throat when you wake up?

DO you suffer problem of snoring?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not snore. I do wake up with a dry mouth, throat and headaches alot.
Thanks for all the information,

You might be suffering from sleep apnea.In this disorder you have one or more pauses in breathing or shallow breaths while you sleep. Breathing pauses can last from a few seconds to minutes. Due to this there is poor sleep quality that makes you tired during the day.

Common symptoms are Excessive daytime sleepiness (hypersomnia), episodes of breathing cessation during sleep, Abrupt awakenings accompanied by shortness of breath, Awakening with a dry mouth or sore throat, Morning headache, Difficulty staying asleep (insomnia) etc.

You need to see you doctor and if required he can refer you to a sleep disorder center. Sleep specialist can help you decide on your need for further evaluation.