Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

My feet get super hot at night and keeps me awake. It happens

My feet get super hot at night and keeps me awake. It happens about 3 nights every week. What can I do?
How long has this been going on? Any medical conditions? This only happens after you go to bed?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It has been going on for several months now. No medical conditions I know of. It only happens at night when I am trying to sleep. I will be cold (cold house) from the knee up and my feet and ankles feel like they're on fire.
So even under the blankets your legs feel cold and your feet burn?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have to keep my legs from the knees xown out of the blankets. And it is mostly my feet and ankles . . . That are burning up. No swelling, no redness.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have to keep my legs from the knees down out of the blankets. And it is mostly my feet and ankles . . . That are burning up. No swelling, no redness.
Any jerking problems with your legs at night?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. Terrible twitching in my legs at night. Have to take Tylenol PM to sleep when I get those. twitching is only at bedtime, not at rest in the evening so I thought it may not be RLS . . . I started taking iron and magnesium and that seemed to help with the twitching.
My thoughts exactly as to RLS although this could be a peripheral neuropathy from diabetes, vitamin deficiencies or a problem with your spine, but in those cases I would expect the problem to be during the day as well. You can try cutting out caffeine and chocolate, valerian, extra vitamin B, but there are prescription medications like Requip that are also effective. You should have a doctor evaluate this to see if it is just RLS.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would it be related to lower back pain as well? I saw a chiropractor who "adjusted" me twice, but I continue to have lower back pain . . . It seemd more muscular than skeletal.
It could be from a disk problem in your back, but it would take an MRI to look for that.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is this potentially a lifetime problem? Do you think, based on what I have been able to tell you, that it will require a continuous prescription to prevent it forever? Are there any permanent negative affects I should be worried about if I do not get on a prescription/visit a doctor soon? (Like if I try the Vitamin B, etc)

RLS can be a long term problem, as can the other conditions except, perhaps, the vitamin deficiency. RLS untreated doesn't cause any physical problems itself, but if it interferes with sleep, that could be a long term problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One more quick question, I take a multi-vitmain every day. (I have started since my girlfriend began nagging at me to do so, hoping it would help.) I just use a generic over-the-counter vitamin. Any one in particular I might try to help address this problem?
An extra B complex may help. Any OTC multivitamin is OK too.