Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Vastly experienced MD Physician with 19 years of experience.
239748

My 10 year old son has been diagnosed with a cholesteatoma

Customer Question

My 10 year old son has been diagnosed with a cholesteatoma in his right ear. Initially, the cyst basically covered the whole eardrum however this growth has almost entirely disappeared (about 10% coverage); however it has been recommended that he undergo a mastoidectomy to remove the other cyst within his middle ear. He recently underwent a hearing test and it was estimated that he has a hearing loss rated as less than mild, although the ENT specialist has indicated that this is probably due to the cholesteatoma itself performing the function of the ossicles. As a parent, I am concerned about the prospect of my son having a large portion of his mastoid removed so my question is: can the cyst be removed and successfully treated without requiring extensive mastoidectomy? Can the cyst be surgically removed via operating through the ear drum. Thank you in advance. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 5 years ago.

MD doc :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

MD doc :

I am sorry to hear about your son's diagnosis

MD doc :

Surgery is definitely recommended for cholesteatoma

MD doc :

There are two types of surgical procedures that can be carried out, Closed or open cavity, and this depends on the type of cholesteatoma, and sometimes this needs to be decided during the surgery itself.

MD doc :

Closed cavity procedures have the advantage of maintaining a normal appearance but have a higher risk of persistent or recurrent cholesteatoma.

MD doc :

In the United States, most surgical procedures for cholesteatoma now are performed through an incision behind the ear combined with an incision in the external auditory canal, but the procedure can be performed through an extended incision starting in the canal alone.

MD doc :

I would recommend that you read the following link for more information

MD doc :

Please remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button, do get back for any clarifications

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. Would you please clarify the link that you mentioned please as I have not found it.
Expert:  Dr. Gupta replied 5 years ago.
Sorry missed putting it in :)
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/993966-treatment#a1128
All the best,