Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I KEEP GETTING A COLD FEELING RUNNING DOWN MY LEFT ARM ALONG

I KEEP GETTING A COLD FEELING RUNNING DOWN MY LEFT ARM ALONG WITH PINS AND NEEDLES IN MY FINGERS ON BOTH HANDS. COULD THIS BE DUE TO EXERCISE?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
How long has this been going on? How long does it last and which fingers are involved?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
IT CAN LAST FROM 10 MIN TO ONE HOUR. AS FAR AS THE PINS AND NEEDLES IT TENDS TO COME IN WHAT FEELS LIKE ALL OF THEM AT THE SAME TIME
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
What kind of exercise?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I GO SPINNING FOUR TIMES A WEEK WHICH INVOLVES PRESS UPS. I ALSO HAVE BEEN HAVING NIGHT SWEATS AND WONDERED IF IT WAS ALL CONNECTED. MY ARM IS COLD AT THE MOMENT WHICH IS WHY I HAVE COME ON THIS WEB SITE.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Any change in skin color?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
MY ARMS GOES BLOTCHY BUT THEN SO DO MY LEGS, ITS JUST THE COLD FEELING THAT BOTHERS ME. IT STARTS AT MY SHOULDER AND GOES ALL THE WAY DOWN MY ARM. MY ARM FEELS NUMB WITH THE COLDNESS.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Potentially this could be from a nerve root compression from a disk problem in the neck although that usually doesn't affect both arms. Another possibility is thoracic outllet syndrome--compression of the subclavian artery as it exits the chest, and if it's related to arm use that could be the case. Finally, this could be a peripheral neuropathy from diabetes, vitamin deficiencies, thyroid conditions, or autoimmune disorders. The only way to determine what's going on is with an exam, blood work, and an MRI of the neck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
THE COLDNESS ONLY EFFECTS MY LEFT ARM NOT BOTH. I DO GET PINS AND NEEDLES IN BOTH BUT THE COLDNESS IS ONLY IN THE LEFT. I HAVE HAD AN XRAY ON MY NECK AND BACK WHICH SHOWED SLIGHT WEAR. COULD IT BE A CIRCULATION PROBLEM?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
The x-ray wouldn't look at the disks. As I said, it could be thoracic outlet syndrome which is a type of circulation problem and the coldness in the arm made me consider that.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice