Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Hi Doc I am experiencing a burning sensation on the underside

Hi Doc

I am experiencing a burning sensation on the underside of my penis. It only burns after masturbation. The burning is right below the opening of my penis. I had a case, according to my doctor after a visual inspection of jock itch in June. She gave me a steroided fungal cream for it which started to work immediately. The burning only starts after friction, lasts for about 6-8 hours then stops. Visually it appears there is nothing wrong with it. I have been having weird burning problems in my genital area since the case of jock itch. I am sexually inactive for about 6-7 months and in October to be safe I got tested for every STD in the book and it came back negative.

What can this burning be..I bought lotrimin but did not use it yet.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 2 years ago.
Likely causes of the symptoms you are describing are, STDs, urinary tract infection, side effect of the medications (steroidals), or neuropathy. It appears that you have been screened for STDs as it is negative, so that is good. I recommend that you see your doctor for a urineanalysis as well. If that is negative, and no other cause is found, then seeing a urologist is warranted to further assess the issues of possible neuropathy as the cause. Potential causes of this can include diabetes, atherosclerosis, pinched nerve.

If you have any additional questions, please ask. If not please click accept.
Regards
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience: MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi--the unusual part of this is that it only happens after a physical scenario like masturbation. Are you saying it never happened with sex? Your age?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am 24 and no it never happened with sex. Also I have been sexually inactive since all of this started.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
I disagree with the other expert's opinion of neuropathy. This never occurs unless you masturbate? Do you masturbate in any particular way?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well..to be honest I do not really have conversations with guys about masturbating but if you mean do I use any special lube or do anything crazy then no I do not. I think the way I do it is perfectly normal. I do have rough hands just by genetics and working out which crossed my mind. But burning for 6 or 7 hours is a long time. Again the area appears fine maybe some redness.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
How long does it take and when exactly does the burning occur?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This happened to me once in the summer..I used lotrimin ultra on basically the underside of my penis because it was so bad I couldnt sleep, That took care of it. Now this is probably the 3rd time in the last 3 weeks that when I masturbated the area burns. Back in the summer I was scared of something like herpes, especially with that rash in my pubic area, but my doctor assured me it was not and in October I got it all tested by blood and it came back negative. I only masturbate for a short period of time maybe 10-20 minutes and the burning usually starts after I masturbate..maybe 20 minutes after..I can feel the burning coming on afterwards.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Have you ever tried applying the Lotrimin before masturbating?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I have not. Do you think this is a fungal issue, maybe just a friction issue, or do you think this is something like an STD or disease or something a little bit more serious.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Without a change in skin color, lasting only for a few hours--this isn't fungal or an STD. It may be a very localized hypesthetic area that the friction aggravates, but I somehow feel there may actually be a problem in the spine or the nerves leading to the penis for this to occur. I'd suggest an MRI of the lumbar spine and the pelvis.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Actually..I do suffer from E.D. (erectile dysfunction). My urologists tested my blood for testosterone, cholestrol and all the common symptoms all of this came back fine. He said it is most likely psychological. I do get erections but not for very long and not when I need too... Do you think this could be related when you speak of nerve damage. Also who should I contact to discuss this problem, my doctor, my urologists, or my derm?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Tell me about the ED
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well I originally went to my urololgist he examined me visually, tested my testosterone and my cholestroal. I have a testosterone of 900 (no I never ever took steroids) which is extremly high. Everything physically from what my urologist said is fine.

I can get erect I have, just the last few years I have not had sex because when the time comes I cannot get erect. I have done sexual activities like oral sex, I am in shape workout 5 times a week and so on. My urologist thinks in a psych problem and gave me 50mg viagra. Is there anything specific your looking for?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
If you can achieve a full erection and climax with masturbation, then it isn't a physical problem and not related to the burning. As for who to see about this, I suggest a neurologist.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice