CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.

I have been diagnosed with delusional disorder.

I have been diagnosed with delusional disorder (had paranoia/delusions since 1992 or so). I trust my parents (before 2000, I barely trusted them). But everyone else I meet is suspect. I can't enjoy the moment, because I am constantly trying to think of an angle that people are trying to get at me. Medications don't seem to work. I've been on many for extended periods of time. I have been hospitalized 3 times (the last time being in 2000). But- the stress of human interaction has pushed me to consider it again. But- I vacillate between almost being convinced of a plot and then an email or interaction seems genuine and I question the idea of a plot. It is terrible to feel this way. I either feel as if people are trying to frame me or I feel guilty for having those thoughts about people who may be genuine.  Are there any effective treatments now?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and I am happy to help you today. I am sorry you have gone through so much, but it sounds like there has been quite an improvement with trust issues between you and your parents and that is excellent progress:-) In the world of mental health treatment , everyone is different... what works for some, doesn't work for others. I know this is very frustrating for you., but It's usually a matter of finding the right combination of medications that work for YOU. Maybe your current Psychiatrist can review your meds and consider some changes. Were there any meds that seemed to work better than others?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The periods (some as long as 8 years) that I've been on antipsychotic medications have been as unstable as years that I have not been on those medications. I've considered every possibility. My paranoia seems to be stress-induced, so I have explored the possibility of borderline personality disorder, but my psychiatrist scoffs and says that I'm much too nice of a person and other criteria doesn't fit as well. I do pay him on time, so the "too nice of a person" comment may be specious. I just graduated from University of Central Florida with a bachelor's degree in Psychology, but I was hoping to have a better handle on this before I applied to Grad Schools, because that sort of stress might crumble me. I was hoping that there might be a therapy you could suggest, but I guess I may be hoping for too much. Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I am replying, but I am going to "accept answer" as soon as I do. Thank you.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
Congrats on your!! .....Would you say that anxiety is a big issue for you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It used to be far more than it is now. I may be uncomfortable, but I know I will survive it. I'm much better in social situations, but I question every motive. On New Years Eve, I was with a woman who I had gone out with a few times. She was extremely complimentary to me and she was sexually aggressive (We kissed but I stopped it there). In the back of my mind was a concern that she was setting me up for something. Three days later, I had constructed a plot that she was going to say that I was sexually aggressive or predatory, but I had somehow collated every previous plot from my almost twenty year history of paranoia, incorporating everyone. Now- I have talked to this woman since and we plan on going out this week. And I feel guilty for suspecting her (and everyone), but that could change. I've never been violent, so there is no concern of that. I ALWAYS retreat. I have never even confronted someone angrily when I was "SURE" that they were conspiring against me. Though I suffer in silence, I am truly thankful that I KNOW I would never hurt another person. Thank you. I'll press accept now. I don't want to take up any more of your time.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 4 years ago.
you know... the fact that you have identified your issues so well makes me all the more sure that you will over come them...REALLY.