Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

What can cause throbbing pain in lower right side (below the

Customer Question

What can cause throbbing pain in lower right side (below the rib cage and around to lower back)? It's a recurring pain in same area that feels like menstrual cramps. Area stays tender after throbbing lessens.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

This could be your ovaries, this could be an urinary tract problem, this could be your appendix or even your gallbladder.

So, I would recommend a pelvic and abdominal exam and based on what is found a possible ultrasound of either the pelvis or the abdomen.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I've been to two doctors and had IV test with dye injected. They did not find any problems with any of those. There is no fever or nausea with this pain.

The doctors I have seen say the pain is not localized in an area consistent with an organ. The only opinion they could give me is musco-skeletal pain.... It does not feel like any muscle pull I've ever had! I don't have to move for it to hurt and it's a hot throbbing pain.

After I eat it's worse.

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.

This could be IBS - Irritable bowel syndrome - and you might want to just increase the fiber in your diet too such as using Benefiber, Metamucil or Citrucel, and ALSO using over the counter medication such as Prilosec and Pepcid.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--a different approach may be to look at your spine and ribs with x-rays and MRI's since this may be a disk problem or a pinched intercostal nerve from a posterior rib dislocation.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice